Morgan St.'s Reviews > Swimsuit

Swimsuit by James Patterson

Nov 16, 10

Read in November, 2010

I really liked it. I've read several reviews where the reviewers didn't give it great marks, but as a mystery and suspense author myself I really appreciated the way the story built and the subtle clues to some of the diabolical twists were handled.

When Kim Daniels, a model on a swimsuit shoot in Hawaii disappears, in your heart you know the news is the worst possible kind, but you want to hold out hope. Her parents fly to Hawaii and are met by a car and driver provided by the hotel, comp'd to a luxurious suite and keep trying not to believe their daughter is dead.

As the story unfolds we know this is not a garden variety killer on the loose. Whoever is grabbing beautiful women and torturing them before he kills them, is one sick puppy.

I won't go into the details that are repeated in all of the other reviews because we're essentially saying pretty much the same thing. Here's something that's a little different.

When the story opened with Kim in the trunk of a car and it's told in third person, I thought how much more effective it would have been in first person. But third was the right way to go, because since she disappears early in the game she isn't the main character except in the spirit of the hunt. The reporter relaying his role in the story is written in first person and that really works.

Watch for the clues. They are there, but only lightly touched upon, producing in most cases a satisfying "head slap" moment when you realize hints were there but you passed over them.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Swimsuit.