Samantha's Reviews > Hope Was Here

Hope Was Here by Joan Bauer

Nov 16, 10

liked it
Read in November, 2010

The name of the book was what lured me in. Hope. Isn't that a very unique name? It's very inspiring to me. Indeed there is a girl named Hope, who in highschool and doesn't have a mother by her side. She was passed to her mom's older sister because Hope's mom didn't think she would've been a good mother. In my opinion, this was a great thing to do because if a mother knows that she cannot give a child a decent childhood, they should give it to someone else who is capable of doing so. Hope is a waiter and her mom is also a waiter as well. Hope moves to Wisconsin, with Addie (Mom's Sister) and at first, she didn't like the idea of leaving, but the new transition grew on her.
Throughout the book, there is a guy named G.T Stoop that brightens up the whole restaurant that Addie and Hope works at. He suffers from Leukemia, but manages to always put on a smile on his face. He passed away at the end of the book, but it made an impact on me. Everyday, it made me realize that we should live our life to the fullest as best as we can and that our life is a gift itself. I admired him for always being so cheerful and happy even though he knew his days wouldn't be long. Towards the end of the story, Hope realizes that there is hope at her new place where she lives.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hope Was Here.