Mel's Reviews > Bloodlines

Bloodlines by Andrea Speed

Dec 26, 10

bookshelves: e-book, m-m
Read from December 21 to 26, 2010

** spoiler alert ** Bloodlines is the follow up to Infected Prey which brought us into the world of Roan McKichan, a private detective infected with the lion strain. In Roan's world, a cat virus -very similar to AIDS- is on the loose, with the tiger strain being the most dangerous and, ultimately: fatal. And Paris, Roan's husband, is infected by it...

Bloodlines was another solid story by Andrea Speed. The author knows how to tell a good urban fantasy tale, in where she weaves an interesting plot with great characters. This time around, the crime story was engaging as ever, but it paled next to the personal drama going on in Roan's life: his lover being terminally ill.

I must admit though, it took me a little while to fully get into the book. It's clear that Speed originally published the stories on line with a weekly interval, because it just picks up where it was left off in Prey. We get no reminders of past events or characters, which made me confused enough to go back and read parts of the first book.

What I didn't need a reminder of, however, was the love between Roan and Paris. Those two are so good together and their love is palpable -despite the lack of love scenes.

That's why the ending just broke my heart. Speed did a wonderful job of realistically portraying the last days of Roan and Paris. It was truly heartrending, but also beautiful to see Roan struggle with something that Paris had long accepted.
I was waiting for a miracle to happen till the very last moment. Anything to avert the inevitable. But alas, it was not meant to be…

4,5 stars
12 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bloodlines.

Quotes Mel Liked

Andrea Speed
“A spa?"
"Yeah, Avalon Spa, you know the place near the mall?"
"Oh, right. What do you do there?"
Again, the nervous glance at the floor, and the small flush of color rising up his neck. "I'm a masseur. Which I know sounds phony as hell, but I'm licensed and everything. Also, my clients are women- the only men at Avalon are the ones on staff. And while I've got nothing against women at all- I'd have no friends in high school if it weren't for women- I find them as sexually attractive as roadkill possum."
Roan had to swallow back a laugh. "Don't tell them that."
"Oh, God no! I'd never get any tips then.”
Andrea Speed, Bloodlines
tags: matt, roan

Andrea Speed
“This was how the world ended. Not with a bang, but with a whimper.”
Andrea Speed, Bloodlines

12/21/2010 page 1

Tara You know what your comment did, right? It made me immediately go read the blurb! LOL! Oh well.

message 2: by Mel (last edited Nov 17, 2010 02:01AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mel Oh no! Well don't tell me. I only read one line of the second paragraph and thought: "Noooo Paris!". So I stopped. I keep hoping it's about something else though...

message 3: by Arzu (last edited Nov 17, 2010 04:40AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Arzu Darned, Tara is right, you made me read the excerpt immediately!! Thanks Mel, now I'll be drinking some bad tasting liquor to stop my worries about Paris!!

message 4: by Mel (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mel I'm sorry! Maybe we're wrong. Maybe it's not the obvious?

Bu arada: kurban bayramın kutlu olsun :)

Arzu Mel wrote: "I'm sorry! Maybe we're wrong. Maybe it's not the obvious?

Bu arada: kurban bayramın kutlu olsun :)"

Let's hope so!! Ve senin kurban bayramini en icten kutlarim, canim!

message 6: by Maya (new) - added it

Maya OMFG!! Paris didn't, did he?

message 7: by Mel (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mel Let us hope not! Maybe it's not what we think. I'm sure it's not what we think. He can't die so soon!

Btw: were Roan and Paris already married by the end of Prey? I forgot?

message 8: by Mel (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mel By the way Maya, I'm starting Mercenaries II tonight. I finished Special Forces - Mercenaries Part I a couple of days ago. Loved it, eventhough I hated a lot of stuff in it.
I'll keep you updated!

message 9: by Maya (new) - added it

Maya Mel wrote: "Let us hope not! Maybe it's not what we think. I'm sure it's not what we think. He can't die so soon!

Btw: were Roan and Paris already married by the end of Prey? I forgot?"

No, they weren't married yet. I just have to read this book as soon as possible! Is it out yet?

message 10: by Maya (new) - added it

Maya Mel wrote: "By the way Maya, I'm starting Mercenaries II tonight. I finished Special Forces - Mercenaries Part I a couple of days ago. Loved it, eventhough I hated a lot of stuff in it.
I'll k..."

Please do! I am living vicariously through you on my Vadim and Dan fix.

message 11: by Maya (new) - added it

Maya I just saw that it is released December 17th. So far away...

message 12: by Mel (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mel LOL, only one month! Deal missy, one Dan & Vadim fix coming up. I do miss Dan though. I wrote it in my Mercenaries I review. It's like when he became Mad Dog he stopped being Dan... :(

message 13: by Tara (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tara LOL! It's okay, I mean I've been spoiled. Somewhere the author was speaking freely (it might have been some archived post when I looking at her website, I just can't remember) and there was no spoiler warning because the story used to be posted there and BAM! SPOILED! And it's a really specific huge spoiler about this next story, which I'll tell you about after you've read it.

message 14: by Mel (last edited Nov 17, 2010 07:52AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mel Oh I'm curious (but I don't want to know).

And I still can't believe you won't read SF with me! :'(
(Pushy? Me?)

MsMiz (Tina) That is like waving a chocolate bar to a starving PMSing girl. What the hell kind of warning is that. Damn rubber necking traffic accident is what that is!

message 16: by Mel (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mel I'm sorry! I just made that mistake myself and I was trying to save you girls from it! And all I get is rants?!?! Snif snif... :'(

message 17: by Mel (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mel There, I edited my review.

MsMiz (Tina) So read the synopsis and am not that surprised. If you were following her hints last month with Infected:Prey was the spotlight book, you would know bad things were going to happen. I just hope the blurb is *sketchy* and not right a la KMM (Moning) who is queen of distracting snippets!

message 19: by Tara (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tara Mel wrote: "Oh I'm curious (but I don't want to know).

And I still can't believe you won't read SF with me! :'(
(Pushy? Me?)"

Hey, I packed all those darn KMM Fever series books and dragged them all the way to Arkansas to read with you and I just finished unpacking them, UNREAD because it didn't happen... I'm just saying...

PS- Did you see that Andrea Speed said that the book coming out in December is just one book. Infected: Bloodlines but it was novel length all alone. Instead of being like the Infected Prey and being 2 books in one. SO that means that we will have to wait again for the next one, assuming it's going to get picked up, which is a bummer because I was going to read this next book and then jump to the internet and start reading the rest of the series... POOH!

message 20: by Mel (last edited Nov 17, 2010 11:11PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mel I tried to keep away from her hints, Tina. Although the blurb is not a hint anymore, way passed that. I'm hoping she's doing a KMM too!

@Tara: so but the second part of the blurb is not relevant anymore since she isn't going to publish #4 yet? And are #5-13 on her site? Because if so, I'd better save #5 somewhere. I expect her to pull the subsequent book to what she's publishing from her site.
And sorry for the extra luggage....

message 21: by Tara (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tara I'm not sure but I think so. I'm guessing the second part of the blurb might no longer be valid... I'll ask. And yes, as of right now the rest of the series starting at book #5 is available on the website, which just means that 4 is missing and it's possible 4 & 5 will be released together. The books ar as follows (this is from her site as well)

Infected, Book 1

Shift, Book 8

Bloodbath, Book 9

The Land of the Blind, Book 10

Lesser Evils, Book 11

Meantime, Book 12 (the story still under way)

I subscribed to her blog in August so I've been getting book 12 emailed to me every time she finishes a chapter and I'm just saving those emails.

message 22: by Mel (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mel Oh my God! Can you believe we have to wait even longer now for what will happen? Or wait, no... the drama will happen in book #3, right?
But but but maybe Paris won't die! Maybe he will catch a new revolutionary virus and become evil. And then Vad Roan and Paris will be on opposite sides and meet up once in a while in the throes (Throe!) of passion and have Very Hot Sex and then in the end Roan finds a cure and Paris becomes normal again.

message 23: by Arzu (new) - rated it 5 stars

Arzu Oh dear lord ... stop guessing girl ... I'm getting weirdo looks here 'cause I can't stop laughing. I suppose to be working!! LOL!!

message 24: by Mel (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mel Sowwy... *evil grin*

MsMiz (Tina) Oh Mel...you are too funny!

message 26: by Tara (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tara Mel wrote: "Yes? No?"

LOL! Maybe?

message 27: by Maya (new) - added it

Maya Honey, you are hysterical!

message 28: by [deleted user] (new)

Hey Mel! Are you going to read this tomorrow? How about if I post a few spoilers here?? I could tell you what happens with Paris. :> *sprints for the door before getting strangled*

message 29: by Mel (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mel Pooh to you, missy!

And I can't read this tomorrow, even if I wanted to. Still reading The Substitute... :P

message 30: by [deleted user] (new)

Oh well, I guess you're stuck for awhile, then. :P

"Bloodlines" starts out in a way that has me very, very worried. I won't tell you why, of course...

message 31: by MsMiz (Tina) (last edited Dec 16, 2010 07:42PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

MsMiz (Tina) Shit - I am going to buy this fisrt thing and start spouting out spoilers- they may even be false ones!!!!

message 32: by Tara (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tara It's out already. Dreamspinner usually releases at midnight GMT time.

message 33: by Mel (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mel Tina, you're mean!

I'm going to read this one right after The Substitute.
I'm around 60% in and it's getting in-te-res-tiiiing, what with 'the nice phone call with The Russian' and all... (If I understand your comments on my book page, there will be some heavy sexing going on...). And I think Guntram is growing a back bone, slowly but surely. He even dropped the f-bomb!
Once, but I randomly opened some pages later in the book and my my, does he have potty mouth!

So Bloodlines asap. :)

message 34: by Tara (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tara I have book to finish for my BDB challenge and then Bloodlines!

message 35: by Mel (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mel Oh great, maybe we can start together :)

MsMiz (Tina) So, you want me to wait as well? I bought it...have not started yet - reading Fish and Chips and Play of Passion right now. I can wait - but for how long lady????

message 37: by Tara (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tara Sounds good, Mel.

message 38: by Mel (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mel I'm around 50% of the Substitute, but I'm pretty much snowed in so I've got nothing much to do the whole weekend but read.
So I think I can start Bloodlines by Monday or Tuesday. Maybe even before. Can you wait till then Tina?
And you Tara?

(PS Tina: come join the SF discussion in Aleks' group if you want to kill time:))

MsMiz (Tina) I have been itching to join in....will do, will do. And yes, I can wait. Not like I do not have a bunch of others to read.

message 40: by Tara (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tara Waiting isn't a problem. I have some Christmas presents to finish making and at least 2 books to finish reading... Just let me know...

message 41: by Mel (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mel Okis, I will.

Tina, I promised you recommendations. I see you haven't read An Agreement Among Gentlemen yet. You can finish that one by Tuesday (easily). I really liked it and it was a surprisingly emotional read (towards the ending). Honestly: it might have had something to do with the fact that it was almost that time of the month - I tend to get really emotional for a day or two right before- so I need you to check ;)
Tara you need to read that book too.
It's a menage but it's Chris Owen. That woman can add emotional layers to the most smutty concepts and make it into something really good.

message 42: by [deleted user] (new)

Finished Bloodlines. But, but, but I can't say anything without Mel spoilers. :( I can't even say if I'd recommend it or not because it isn't something everyone will like. I will say that it is very, very good, though :)

message 43: by Mel (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mel Kate Mc. wrote: "I will say that it is very, very good, though :) "

Ooooh, that's good to know! Regarding the first lines: we have lots to talk about it seems! Can't wait.

message 44: by Mel (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mel Okay chicas, I'm going to start Infected Bloodlines now, right after I read the last paragraphs of Prey. Someone said 'marriage' and I don't recall... :S

message 45: by Arzu (new) - rated it 5 stars

Arzu I'm at 60% right now and love it!!

message 46: by Mel (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mel Oh, good to know :)
(So no deaths yet I presume... Don't tell me!)

message 47: by Arzu (new) - rated it 5 stars

Arzu I am not telling anyting ... however ...

MsMiz (Tina) I am just about to start it, therefore I should be done by midnight;)

message 49: by [deleted user] (new)

Oh good. Everyone should be done by tomorrow then :> So much for Mel's fluffy in-between read.

MsMiz (Tina) Okay - so this book basically is set 2 years after the end of Prey? Ms. Speed better fill in the places - especially the wedding - especially especially if what I think is going to happen to Paris happens.....grrrrrrr

« previous 1 3