Michael 's Reviews > Narrative of the Life of Frederick Douglass, An American Slave and Essays

Narrative of the Life of Frederick Douglass, An American Slav... by Frederick Douglass

Nov 16, 2010

Read in November, 2010

It is impossible for a white person of this time to even imagine the reality known by the colored slaves of the 19th century. Even after having read such books as Uncle Tom's Cabin....Black Like Me....and Middle Passage, among others, I have only had a glimpse at the suffering of an enslaved people. This book gives yet another look into that terrible existence and into the mind and heart of an amazing man.

Slavery still exists in this world today. In some parts of America, the Civil War is still being fought. The lyrics of 'Eve of Destruction' by Barry McGuire said...."hate your next dark neighbor, but don't forget to say 'grace.'" Your next dark neighbor may be a negro, a Mexican, a Native American, or someone from the middle east....mgc

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Narrative of the Life of Frederick Douglass, An American Slave and Essays.

message 1: by Andrew (new)

Andrew Breslin Michael, as always your reviews compel me to want to read these books I have no time to read these days, what with my busy schedule. Darn you!

I have read excerpts from Frederick Douglas and it's clear that he is one of the most important voices our nation has ever produced, and yet I haven't read any of his books yet.

I have been reading several other civil war related texts of late, and one thing that is crystal clear to me is that the Civil War has never actually ended.

I think this is absolutely crucial to any understanding of American politics and culture today. It's laughable when people act as if the tea-party is not primarily a racist movement reacting violently to the election of an African-American president. I have to wonder how many of them have ever read Frederick Douglas. Or a history textbook. Or basic logic. Or any book at all that contains polysyllabic words.

message 2: by Michael (last edited Nov 18, 2010 07:36AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Michael Thank you for your comments; they are always welcomed and anticipated. We agree on most things important in life and when we disagree, we do so as gentlemen who acquire their opinions from sources other than television.

Most develop their attitudes about race without any attempt to discover the factors impacting the lives of races other than their own. It is the same for the diversity of religious opinions and attitudes. Most people spew wrath about Charles Darwin without have read his work. I will in the near future do a review of 'The Origin of Species.' I am usually reading about half a dozen books at once, so the reviews have to wait their turn.

I hope your life is working in your favor and that as your busy schedule relaxes, our social intercourse may increase in frequency.....mgc

message 3: by Lilo (new)

Lilo I agree with you 100%.