Lea's Reviews > A Householder's Guide to the Universe: A Calendar of Basics for the Home and Beyond

A Householder's Guide to the Universe by Harriet Fasenfest

Nov 16, 2010

it was ok
bookshelves: read-2010, reviews
Read on November 16, 2010

Well. What to say about this book ... I won this in a Good Reads give away & I really wanted to love it. While this book is packed with tons & tons of good tips, the tone is very off putting to me. I loved "Animal, Vegetable, Miracle" -- it made me want to run right out & start digging in the dirt. This book doesn't fill me with the same excitement -- after reading it, I just feel annoyed. So I'm giving this three stars -- for good information -- but the author's superior tone prevents me from recommending it to anyone but die hard homesteaders.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Householder's Guide to the Universe.

message 1: by Harriet (new)

Harriet Fasenfest Ouch. "Superior tone". That stings. I'm sorry you felt like that. I tried to be honest about how crazy all this can be. That it felt oft putting was the last thing on my mind. But the I know I can be cranky and maybe a little "smitten with myself" as I say. Sorry, if you follow the information and forgive (or love) the narrative I'm hoping you can see the heart to the effort. That is real to me. Sorry that got lost in the tone. Well, I guess I'm not everyones cup of tea. Still, thanks for reading it. It is appreciated. And I do hope between Barbara and/or I that you have in fact begun digging in the dirt.

Harriet