Erica's Reviews > Dead Is the New Black

Dead Is the New Black by Marlene Perez

Nov 22, 10

bookshelves: fantasy, evil-creatures, love-and-romance, magic, growing-up, supernatural, sisters, women-and-girls, witches-vampires-ghosts-werewolves, ya
Recommended to Erica by: Janet Nelson
Read from November 16 to 18, 2010

While on my mission to not read anymore YA supernatural/fantasy books, I found this. It's a YA supernatural/fantasy book. I had finished my LightRail Book and needed a new one and meant to get something completely new and different and wound up with this, instead.
So far, however, it's really cute. So far, there are no whiny, humorless teenagers who mope about lusting constantly after a kiss. So far, there's a neat family and a unique family dynamic (they get along like a real family! There are no orphans! Yeah, the dad is missing, so that's a bit cliche, but it's a realistic scenario and I can forgive that) that is rather fun to follow. So far, it's light-hearted, well-written, and plain-old enjoyable.
We'll see what transpires...

Ok, I've finished.
I was right - it was a cute book. It reminded me of Nancy Drew for the new, supernatural millennium. It's very light, a very fast read. It's not worth putting tons of thought into but definitely worth just enjoying. It's fun!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dead Is the New Black.