Justyn Rampa's Reviews > Batman: The Dark Knight Strikes Again

bookshelves: batman, graphic-novels
Read on November 16, 2010

This is brilliant!

Honestly, I loved it!

The first book blew me away and I actually discussed with someone who agreed with me that the first book was amazing but that it goes downhill from there.

Fortunately, he was wrong!

I don't really even know where to begin on the brilliance of this book. Strange since I did not really care for the "Dark Knight Returns". (DK2 is the sequel proper to "Dark Knight").

One big difference is the artwork. Lynn Varley returns to do the art but she is allowed to really shine here! The coloring makes all the difference in the world. DK1 was illustrated in a style little better than sketches with coloring that seemed like an afterthought. The colors explode off the page in DK2 and although Lynn Varley still has her unique style, I'm totally buying it. Interestingly enough, Lynn Varley and Frank Miller were married until 2005 when they divorced.

But the artwork is not necessarily the star of the show, no friends, the star of the show is the writing!

This story although complicated and challenging is absolutely genius! Government conspiracies abound as the role of superheroes are questioned. Batman of course is just such a bad-ass it is ridiculous! There was only one plot point which left a bad taste in my mouth, I understood it and of course Frank Miller likes to turn convention on its head. Despite this however, I still found the story to be brilliant.

Like Top 25 Brilliant actually.

Hell, I may even put it in my Top 10.

That's how much I loved it!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Batman.