Jennifer Lane's Reviews > Room

Room by Emma Donoghue

May 30, 11

bookshelves: recommended-by-goodreads-friend
Read from May 25 to 28, 2011

I can’t stop thinking about this book. The world Emma Donoghue created for the eleven-by-eleven foot space Jack and “Ma” inhabit is so haunting and real that I continue to feel frightened and creeped out. Yet I have positive feelings, too: admiration for Ma and protectiveness for Jack, who’s the cutest darn five year-old you’ve ever met. I want to take Jack home with me and cuddle. Unfortunately, taking him to a home in the outside world means he won’t know how to walk down stairs. He won’t like the unfamiliar sensation of shoes on his feet. All Jack knows is the comfort of Room.

It was brilliant to write the book from little Jack’s perspective. His fresh, honest take on the world is so precious. I love how he names the parts of his world: Meltedy Spoon, Track, Sundaytreat, Outer Space, Wardrobe, Old Nick.

(view spoiler)

When Jack kissed Ma’s breasts goodbye I couldn’t stop laughing.

“I kiss the right and say, ‘Bye-bye.’ I kiss the left twice because it was always creamier.” (p. 303). Ha ha!

Ma comes up with incredibly creative games and activities, egged on by Jack’s stunning imagination.

This story had me on the verge of tears and left me with a very hopeful feeling, the perfect combination. I care deeply about Jack and Ma, wanting so much for their future. Though they will undoubtedly be affected by Room, I desperately want them to get revenge by living the good life. With a mother like Ma, I think Jack has an excellent start.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Room.

05/27/2011 page 223
69.0% "Riveting"

Buggy Fantastic review Jennifer, I've been really curious about this book and thanks to your rating I'll probably pick it up.

Jennifer Lane Thank you, Buggy. I wanted to choose this for book club but the moms in the group thought it would be too harrowing due to the reason Ma and Jack are in Room. However, I thought it was amazing and would recommend it.

Sheila Borton Wow looks like a good book to read after I read all that you put down makes want it now.thanks can't wait to read your book.

message 4: by Smash (new) - added it

Smash Ma may have lost her way for a while, which is quite understanable, but that young woman is quite incredible!

Jennifer Lane Totally agree, Smash! Especially dealing with her chronic pain. She was such a good mom to Jack.