Tara's Reviews > The Devouring

Dec 31, 10

bookshelves: own
Read from December 30 to 31, 2010

REVIEW ORIGINALLY POSTED http://hobbitsies.net/wordpress/?p=2275

I picked up The Devouring because I wanted an intense and scary and creepy book. Boy, did I ever pick up the right book! Seriously, I started this book in the middle of the night all alone and I was beyond freaked out. When I finished it the next morning, it wasn’t as creepy, but just as good!

The idea of changelings freaks me out. But Simon Holt took the idea of changelings and made it into something completely different, not changelings at all – really, they’re not changelings. It’s just the best way I could describe it. They’re called “Vours.” As in deVOURs. Yeah, creepy already, right?

I didn’t really get too much of a feel for the main character. Reggie was interesting, a total horror buff, but other than that, I didn’t really know much about her. I knew her family history, her friends, her brother, but not her, which kind of bugged me. But I definitely admired her. If my brother were being possessed by some evil spirit demon thing, I don’t think I could handle it.

There are definitely some horrifying descriptions and scenes throughout this book, which was exactly what I was going for. The ending was well done. It wrapped things up enough so I didn’t want to scream in frustration, but not enough so that I still want to read the sequel. The Devouring is perfect for anyone looking for a creepy and excellent book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Devouring.

12/30/2010 page 84
35.0% "Dude, this book is totally creepy."