Caroline The HEA Lover's Reviews > The King's Courtesan

The King's Courtesan by Judith James

Sep 28, 11

bookshelves: to-read, 2011, arc, romance, historical
Read from July 08 to 12, 2011

(This review was originally posted on Book Lovers Inc)

Judith James won me over last year with a fantastic Libertine's Kiss. I loved it so much that I've been counting the days 'till the release of The King's Courtesan. To be honest I think this book is responsible for my Netgalley addiction. Why? Because I've been checking the website everyday for the last 5 months in hope of seeing The King's Courtesan up for request. As you can imagine I might have stumbled on a few other books in the process ;) (<== bad excuse I know!!)

But back to the book! Captain Robert Nichols was first introduced in Libertine's Kiss. I felt pretty bad for him and I wanted him to get his HEA after all. He's a reasonable man (well most of the time), a no-nonsense kind of man. He's also driven by revenge. His only goal in life is to finally be able to get his revenge. Robert is haunted by the past and he can't let go.

One thing I love about this book is that it's set in a time period that is not often depicted in books. We get to be completely immersed in the Civil War and Charles II's reign. I learned a lot about this historical period while reading Judith James' books. Robert was on the wrong side of the war now he has to deal with the consequences. And in this case the consequences are pretty bittersweet. He is ordered to marry the King's Courtesan, Hope.

Hope Matthews is a courtesan. She could have ended up a street-whore but she has wits and she's very courageous. She turned her situation into something very positive. Right now she's the king's mistress...well one of them. I absolutely adored the scenes between Hope and Charles. Their relationship is based on friendship and honesty.Well to be completely honest, I just loved Charles, he's a fascinating king. I loved how he could change from a very nice and easy person to his ruthless King's persona in a second. He already fascinated me in Libertine's Kiss and I'm glad we got to see him a bit more.

Charles is soon to be married, he can't have an unmarried mistress at Court. He doesn't want to part with Hope so he engineers a way to have her at Court...married! Charles really is a wicked man, he's very manipulative and won't stop at anything to get what he wants.

Hope and Robert's relationship starts off. They were both manipulated in a wedding they didn't want. Robert has to accept that his 'wife' will be the King's mistress. He'll be officially cuckold in front of the whole Court. Hope on the other end feels like she's been cast off. All she wanted was to be free...to be her own master. Judith James made me root for them, I wanted them to fall for each other. I wanted them to fight their demons and finally be happy. I was scared I wouldn't like the whole 'courtesan' thing but it turn out very well. *g* . I loved how they fought and how passionate they were.

An added bonus is that we get to see the main characters from Libertine's Kiss once again. It was a very good surprise. *g*

The King's Courtesan is a beautiful love story set in a rich historical period. Court Intrigues, War, Revenge those are a few of the things our heroes will have to overcome to finally get their HEA. Judith James gives us a story about how love can heal the scars from the past. If you love Historical romances with a bit of Court intrigues then this is for you. One of the main appeal of this book is how it makes you learn so much about this historical period. I will be impatiently awaiting Judith James' next book!

I give The King's Courtesan 4 1/2 Bookies
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The King's Courtesan.

07/08/2011 page 31
8.0% "been waiting for this one for soooooo loooooong"
07/11/2011 page 189
49.0% "soooo good. I love it. LOVE it."
07/11/2011 page 260