Danns's Reviews > Null Pointer

Null Pointer by Johnny Batch

U 50x66
Nov 20, 2010

Read from November 16 to 19, 2010

I was very surprised how this book sucked me in! I had a hard time putting it down. Some reviewers on Amazon complained they were let down by the ending but not me. I found myself looking forward to firing it up on my Droid each day whenever I could.

One thing that bothered me at first was his constant explanation of technologies used in the book (e.g; Ubuntu is a popular distrobution of Linux; IRC is a text-based group chatting tool (those are my words not his)) in a direct way that took me out of the story somewhat. Instead of telling the the story the author was now instructing me; so it broke the flow. I pondered how he could actually weave this explanation into the story, but that would require getting very wordy. So, eventually I settled on accepting this direct approach for he covered in one sentence what would probably take a paragraph or two weaved into the story and probably detract from the flow even more.

Now that little quirk there is not very big and happens very seldom in the book so I am just being nitpick for nit pickys sake.

If you are a geek, get this book. At $2.99 for the ePub edition it's a great read. You may be able to get it from the author's site too but I cannot remember. Great stuff! I look forward to reading more from Ken McConnell. Find his website at http://ken-mcconnell.com/

Check out Ken's Mystery site at: http://www.johnnybatch.com/
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Null Pointer.