Rachel Loke's Reviews > Warped

Warped by Maurissa Guibord

Feb 04, 11

bookshelves: jan-2011-releases, my-all-time-favourites, books-i-own
Read from January 30 to February 04, 2011

This has got to be one of the most intriguing and original YA fiction books that I've read. While the genre is buzzing with books about vampires, werewolves, fallen angels, dystopia settings, Maurissa Guibord has distinguished herself from the other authors out there with her debut novel on tapestry, magic and unicorns. The world she has crafted is simply riveting and unique.

I thoroughly enjoyed the book and its premise, especially with the Three Fates, an ancient tapestry and a 16th century nobleman with caustic wit, wicked humour and impeccable manners. Did I mention how I love guys by the name of Will, who never fail to amuse me with their sarcasm? (: Tessa is a strong protagonist and I'm pretty glad that readers don't see her moping around after she suffers a setback. In fact, I like how she doesn't believe in Fate and that events are predestined. Contrary to most reviews out there, I do not think that Will and Tessa fell in love too quickly and their relationship is too unrealistic. From what I gather, there is a connection between the both of them, which started from 1511 where Will was turned into a unicorn and would explain the strange dreams Tessa has been having. I also enjoyed the verbal exchanges between Tessa and Will, especially how she tries to break his 16th century 'machoism' and help him adapt to the new time period he is released into.

If I'm right, this book may have a sequel since there are several questions left hanging, especially about Tessa's abilities. If that's the case, I'll be waiting impatiently for the next book (:

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Warped.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lucy (new)

Lucy I'm glad to hear you enjoyed this one! It's one of the 2011 releases I've had my eye on, and this review makes me even more intrigued. :)

Rachel Loke I don't regret getting the book and I would highly recommend you to read it soon (: it's by far one of the best 2011 releases (:

Lucy wrote: "I'm glad to hear you enjoyed this one! It's one of the 2011 releases I've had my eye on, and this review makes me even more intrigued. :)"

message 3: by Melissa (new)

Melissa Will & Tessa, huh? Interesting name choice. But still, a guy who changes into a unicorn? I don't know... 0.o

Rachel Loke Come on, Mel. you're being way too shallow, and it's not as if he wants to change into a unicorn!!!! i can't say anymore 'cos i don't want to spoil the story for others.

Will and Tessa, yes (:

Melissa wrote: "Will & Tessa, huh? Interesting name choice. But still, a guy who changes into a unicorn? I don't know... 0.o"

message 5: by Melissa (new)

Melissa Hey, unicorns are supposed to be girls, kay! Hah! Perhaps I shall borrow this book from you and see if it's all right. :D

Rachel Loke Not exactly. Haven't you heard of the various unicorn legends? (:

message 7: by Melissa (new)

Melissa Nope. I've not read any unicorn novels yet. :D