Mark Fallon's Reviews > Farthest North: The Epic Adventure of a Visionary Explorer

Farthest North by Fridtjof Nansen

Nov 16, 10

Read in November, 2010

I just finished reading Farthest North: The Epic Adventure of a Visionary Explorer, by Fridtjof Nansen. The book chronicles the 1893-1896 polar expedition of Nansen and his crew aboard the schooner Fram.

I continue to be fascinated by the exploits of men like Nansen and his crew. In pursuit of knowledge, they subjected themselves to the relentless elements of the Arctic. With a crew of only 12, they took turns at the roles of sailor, scientist, cook, mechanic – or whatever the situation demanded. And somehow remained in good spirits while stuck fast in the ice during the endless polar night.

Nansen’s book is equal parts adventure story, scientific observations and poetry. He captured the valiant efforts of his men, the new information they brought back about the Arctic, and his reflections while separated from his loved ones. I was spellbound by his writing.

Definitely a book to consider while staying warm and cozy in your house this winter.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Farthest North.