Kimm's Reviews > Powder and Patch

Powder and Patch by Georgette Heyer

Dec 30, 10

Read from November 16 to 17, 2010

Slowly making my way through Georgette Heyer’s regency romances. I came across Powder and Patch in a used bookstore. It wasn’t on the top of my list to buy, but the price was right and the book was little more than a short story (200 pages felt very brief). After reading it, I’m not that disappointed that the book was that small. It was okay, but I really found the hero, Philip, quite awkward. He undertakes a transformation to secure the woman he loves, but what he turns into…egad!…Cleone might fall for it, but I sure didn’t. He kinda creeped me out to tell the truth. His poetry…well, that left a lot to be desired.

Cleone felt like a typical young miss who doesn’t know what she really wants in life. She plays with Philip’s affection with little regard for the consequences and her plan almost backfires on her. Perhaps Philip and Cleone are suited for one another—both a little dramatic and caught up in what they think is for the best.

Still, I’ve enjoyed learning Georgette Heyer’s novels as I’ve made my way through them (still have many more to complete). I’m discovering changes in her style over the years. Her earlier writing doesn’t seem to appeal to me as much as the later books; however, I know there are still a couple of her most popular reads that I’ve yet to try.

If you haven’t tried Georgette Heyer, I highly recommend running out and grabbing one of her books…which have been conveniently republished by Sourcebooks. Beautiful covers by the way!! Special note: I wouldn’t make Powder & Patch the first book I grabbed…but you’ll want to include it once you are hooked on her writing.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Powder and Patch.

11/17/2010 page 85