Marit's Reviews > "Why Are All The Black Kids Sitting Together in the Cafeteria?": A Psychologist Explains the Development of Racial Identity

"Why Are All The Black Kids Sitting Together in the Cafeteria?" by Beverly Daniel Tatum

1419866
Nov 24, 10

bookshelves: non-fiction
Read from November 15 to 23, 2010

This book was published in the late 1990's but still is relevant for today's American society. Dr. Tatum includes multiple psychology and social science studies in this work along with published theory of child-adolescent-adult psychological development as it specifically relates to racial issues. The book mostly focuses on Black-White race issues because that is what Dr. Tatum is most familiar with, both personally and professionally. However, she does give a good chunk of space to other races, Asian, Native American, and Latino/Chicano as well as issues specific to interracial children. I read this book first in high-school and now I have read it a decade later. Both times, it has made me think and become aware of issues of White privilege that many people, especially Whites, do not fully recognize, it has given me words to express feelings and ideas I have come across in my life but have been unable to articulate, and has given me insight into developmental stages and how people's viewpoints may alter through their lives. I would say this book is rather dryly written and is not an "inspirational" one by any means but a more "clinical" look at the pervasive psychological ramifications and stories behind racism. This book is an excellent first step for those who wish to increase their understanding and ability to affect change in race-related problems.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read "Why Are All The Black Kids Sitting Together in the Cafeteria?".