Matt's Reviews > Metamorphosis: Stages in a Life

3702050
Nov 24, 10

bookshelves: biography-memoirs, politics-history, white-people-suck
Read from November 15 to 24, 2010

This book had distinctly two halves for me. The first was the story of Suzuki's growing up, and up until the end of his college years. This was some of the most interesting autobiography that I have ever read, perfectly blending his own experiences with the historical context of the hardship he and his family had to go through being Japanese living in Canada during World War II. It paints a perfect picture of one of the blackest times in Canada and the United States' history, and I would argue that the first 130 pages or so of this book are absolutely indispensable.

From then on, though, its kind of a yawn. Suzuki spends far too much time trying to explain the science of what he was doing after school rather than the biographical part of it. In a different context, like in a book more dedicated to science, I would say that it would be interesting. Within a biography, however, even one about a scientist, it didn't seem right. I found myself pushing through the second half of the book trying to sift through all the science-y bits to get to more about his life story. I may want to read a science book by Suzuki, and an autobiography by Suzuki, but mixing the two seemed a bit awkward.

If the book were novella size at 130 pages, it would be 5 stars and recommended to everyone I know. As it stands, the second half makes it a 3. Kind of disappointing, but still good. I recommend everyone read the first five chapters or so.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Metamorphosis.

11/22/2010 page 94
31.0% "Really enjoying this. Suzuki does a good job of weaving historical context with his own life story."