Ben's Reviews > Messy Spirituality: God's Annoying Love for Imperfect People

Messy Spirituality by Michael Yaconelli

Aug 05, 12

Read in November, 2010

At a dinner last year the topic of life changing books came up. Given the intimate company, I took care to note them all but have since, sadly, left most of them simply lingering on my to-read list. Of these books, I just finished Messy Spirituality by Michael Yaconelli. The actual book recommended had been Dangerous Wonder, but the premise and structure of this earlier book by the same author was less appealing to me (based on reviews), so I opted for Messy Spirituality. Both are rated 4.5 stars on Amazon. I actually had started the book and abandoned it a month ago, but over time its scant page count jeering me from the bookshelf wore me down, and I jumped back into it for the quick finish.

I struggle much with valuing books that I am clearly not the best or target audience for. I can clearly see though that this is an author that will change many people lives dramatically. Yaconelli hawks views, takes, and ideas that are rare and perhaps daring to send echoing down the halls of Christendom. The great halls filled with the mainstream will be offended, the vagrant in abandoned corridors will be uplifted.

All in all, I didn’t like it that much. I do feel like there are no surprises with it, so read some of the excerpts or reviews and you will know whether or not it is the book you have been looking for.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Messy Spirituality.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Bobby Completely agree with you. I didn't find surprises there too. Authour just wrote about worldwide things.