Whitney (First Impressions Reviews)'s Reviews > The Secret of the Old Clock

The Secret of the Old Clock by Carolyn Keene

Nov 15, 2010

bookshelves: young-adult, nancy-drew

Young girl sleuth, Nancy Drew is introduced in 1930 with The Secret of the Old Clock, the first in the classic mystery series. After aiding an injured child Nancy stumbles upon the mystery of Josiah Crowley's missing will. Josiah promised several members of his family that he would include them in his will but upon his death they were all omitted leaving everything to a snobby relations who claim to hold the only copy. Nancy sees the unjustness of the situation and feeling that something is not right sets of to find a missing antique clock which may posses answers to a second will's location.

The Secret of the Old Clock is very nostalgic to me as it was the first Nancy Drew Mystery I read. I was ten and on vacation and having run out of books to read was taken to the local bookstore. My mom persuaded me to try Nancy Drew a favorite of hers growing-up. I read the novel with relish finishing in a 24 hour period amazed by the adventures Nancy got herself into. Soon after, I devoured everything Carolyn Keene had written and was shocked years later to discover that "Carolyn Keene" was a ghostwriter with the mysteries being written by men.

Although 15 years have past since that day Nancy Drew has not changed and still holds my attention. She is just the right combination of girl next-door and brainy sleuth making for a lovely read for any age. It's just swell.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Secret of the Old Clock.