Megan's Reviews > Ain't Misbehaving

Ain't Misbehaving by Jennifer Greene

Nov 15, 10

bookshelves: 3-stars, contemporary-romance, fiction
Read in October, 2010

This is a really cute and excellent-fitting title, because Kay and Mitch spend a good deal of the book in a state where they ain't misbehaving and they ARE saving their love for each other. Kay, a big-hearted sexual education teacher, experiences some great chemistry with Mitch, a charming gem expert, but she's frustrated by what she assumes are his old-fashioned values. The two can be starting to edge toward getting hot and heavy, and then he always backs away. Mitch, who had been sick since the age of 15 and has now had a successful heart-valve surgery, is insecure about his virginity and about the expectations he fears Kay might have.

I like my romances with more communication and open honesty between the hero and the heroine, and the pacing of this book was particularly luggy. I did, however, really enjoy the chemistry between the two, and both of them slowly learning to be comfortable and in sync with one another. The scenes were they explore different aspects of intimacy were pretty memorable. I was less interested by Kay's circle of friends, and I thought the "I know you think you love me, but what if you don't?" conflict was grating. There was a lot to like about the book, and it was quite sweet and spicy, which is a tone many books can't quite hit but this one managed well.

This is a reissue originally published in 1985, but the book read to me as a little less than strictly contemporary. I'm in my twenties, around the same age as the characters, but some of the little details didn't come across as very fresh or snappy or contemporary to me, which jarred me from my reading experience. No one I know other than my grandmother uses the word "fanny," and every time the word was used, I had to stop and roll my eyes. Some of Kay's clothing choices also came across as feeling not-so-contemporary.

Note: I received a review copy from the publisher via NetGalley.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ain't Misbehaving.