Xiao Mei's Reviews > Olive's Ocean

Olive's Ocean by Kevin Henkes

F_50x66
Nov 15, 10

bookshelves: freshmen-year

This book was about a twelve-year-old girl, Martha Boyle. Martha's classmate, Olive Barstow, had passed away in a car accident. Olive's mother delivered one of Olive's journal entries to Martha. In it, Olive wrote that Martha was the nicest person in their class and she wanted to get to know her. Martha also discovered that they had kept the same secret without knowing it. The following day, Martha and her family left to spend the Summer with her grandmother on the Atlantic Coast. Martha couldn't stop thinking about Olive. Throughout the book, Martha discovered that her grandmother was getting older. Also, her brother started to drift away from the family and she began to like Jimmy Manning. Everything was happening quickly.

This was a good book. I thought the writing style was a bit plain and simple. However, it does provide you with enough details. The author did a good job of showing the characters feelings. One part that made me sad was about how her grandmother was getting older. It made me think about my own grandmother. This book is recommended to everyone.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Olive's Ocean.