Caroline M.'s Reviews > A Wrinkle in Time

bookshelves: books-i-ve-reviewed
Read in November, 2010

** spoiler alert ** A Wrinkle in Time:
The Adventures Through the Fifth Dimension
What would you do if your dad was lost and no one has any idea where he could possibly be? In the science fiction novel, A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L’engle, Meg Murry and her brother Charles Wallace are faced with this problem, and they both want to look for him. One day, they bump into a boy named Calvin, and in front of them, three people named: Mrs.Whatsit, Mrs.Who, and Mrs.Which. They traveled through the fifth dimension and showed the three kids what planet that their dad was on. They dropped them off on the planet named Camazotz, and told them to go look for them. I gave this book 3/5 stars because it was good and I liked it, but it wasn’t my favorite. The main character Meg has a very good personality because she has a natural instinct to protect those that she loves, she takes control when she needs to, and she can solve problems given to her well.
The main character Meg has a very good personality because she has the natural instinct to protect those that she loves. Throughout the book, she is always worried about her family. For example, her brother Charles Wallace and her father Mr.Murry. After she saves her dad from IT, they both along with Calvin have to save Charles Wallace. During the process, they had to tesser to get away, because Meg had almost been killed by IT. They had to leave Charles Wallace, and Meg became furious with her father for leaving him. Plus, she became obsessed with saving him. This shows just how much she has the natural instinct to protect those that she loves. Also, more near the beginning of the story, when they find their dad and he is trapped in a cell, she immediately dives in to go and save him. She was very persistent in wanting to save her dad, and this also shows how much she wants to protect those that she loves.
Another reason the main character Meg has a very good personality is that she takes control when she knows that she needs to. Once she has recovered on the planet that her dad accidentally tessered them to, Mrs.Whatsit, Mrs.Which, and Mrs.Who came and told them that is was time for someone to go and save Charles Wallace. So, Meg immediately decides that is herself who must do this. As she says, “I don’t understand Charles, but he understands me. I’m the one who’s closest to him.” This is the main reason why she wants to go. Also, this shows that when she knows she has to take control and do something, she does.
Finally, the main character Meg has a very good personality because she can solve problems when given to her well. Before she leaves to go and save Charles Wallace, Mrs.Which gives her her last words of advice. She said that Meg had something that IT does not. She said that this thing was her only weapon and that she had to find it for herself. While she was talking to IT, she realized that what IT didn’t have was love. He was only a big brain that brought misery and hatred. He couldn’t love. This proves that Meg is a good problem solver because it is hard to find something that no one has given the answer to you.
The main character Meg has a very good personality because she has a natural instinct to protect those that she loves, she takes control when she needs to, and she can solve problems given to her well. My personal connection with Meg is that I can’t imagine what it would be like to loose your dad and not know where he is. If my dad suddenly disappeared, I wouldn’t be able to stand it. Plus, it would be really hard to recover, and so therefore I respect Meg for being so strong. In conclusion, I learned that sometimes you have to do more then hope to make something workout. Instead, you have to take your words and thoughts and put them into action.

3 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Wrinkle in Time.

Comments (showing 1-4)

dateUp arrow    newest »

message 4: by Reese (new)

Reese Caroline, I really liked your review. Your opening phrase was really good! I saw the movie, you should watch it now that you read the book! :)

message 3: by Mabel (new)

Mabel The way you closed your paragraphs was good, it really finished your ideas well. Your thesis was interesting as well, great job, Caroline!

Hannah C. Great review, Caroline! I read that book a long time ago. I really liked your thesis statement and how it was only centered on Meg. You also did a remarkable job explaining Meg's likable pesonality. Having the instinct to protect loved ones, the ability to take control, and efficient problem solving skills are wonderful characteristics and traits that make Meg a strong person in the book. I hope you liked the book. By the way, did you know that this book is part of a series? There are a few more about the rest of Meg's story. Anyway, good job!

message 1: by Kayne (new)

Kayne I liked your begging paragraph it really stood out to me