Myla's Reviews > The False Friend

The False Friend by Myla Goldberg

F_50x66
Nov 17, 10

Read from November 15 to 17, 2010

Second book by Myla Goldberg, just to give her another chance, and disappointed again. There just isn't enough good stuff to make it worth reading. I kept reading not because I was compelled by the characters or the story, but just to see what happens. And what is with her idiot characters? Celia's live-in boyfriend is a high school teacher who's an occasional drug user, and that's just something that's part of him, she doesn't even consider leaving him for it. Very stupid. I can understand you might want to write "real" characters, but come on, try someone with a learning disability or someone who has never tried drugs or alcohol (I know hundreds)--just don't glorify that. She portrays it as some other character flaw, like clipping his toenails in bed....clearly, there should be some distinction between those two types of things. I do think that she could have had one chapter in the beginning to set up Celia as someone we know something about before she starts delving into the past, which is supposed to contradict the person she is today. All in all, between her two books, there are too many nasty aspects that don't need to be included (masturbating teenager in Bee Season, hint of sex change person in False Friend, etc.). It dilutes her writing and makes her books unenjoyable.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The False Friend.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Angela Simmons Thanks for this review,I agree with you about the book. I am so glad that I was not the only one put off by some of the content.

Peggy Phelps So wordy that I would lose track and many times not understand what she wrote. I felt like she was trying to impress readers by her use of words rather than try to tell us a story. She lost sight of a writers responsibility in revealing its message. Not captivating at all.

Continualknowledge The sex change was so out of place that I had blocked it out by the end but I was thinking the same thing. What does this sex change do to the story. We still know no more about that character or the other character.