Sidna 's Reviews > My Reading Life

My Reading Life by Pat Conroy

F_50x66
Nov 15, 10

Read in November, 2010

This is classic Pat for Conroy fans. As usual, he reveals a lot about himself and his family. When I told one of my friends that I was going to meet Pat Conroy and have him sign my book she asked if it was a list of books he has read. He names very few books in this book. Instead each of the 15 chapters is devoted to a person in his life, beginning with his mother, who encouraged him to read or to write.

I agree with him on many things: his love of story (he says, rightly so, that many authors today look down on storytelling and their books are dull as a result) and his preference to read from books rather than electronic devices.

This is a book for people who love Pat Conroy's writing, as I do. I devoured every word. He is a great storyteller and has a gift for words that few writers possess. This book may not be for everyone, but as I was waiting to meet him, I thought if he wrote the phone book, I would be dying to read every word of it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read My Reading Life.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge I love this review. Captures the enthusiasm for reading that both Conroy and the reviewer share!