Nicole's Reviews > Starcrossed

Nov 05, 11

bookshelves: signed-by-the-author
Read from June 07 to 09, 2011 — I own a copy

You can find this review and many others on my blog, The Reader's Antidote

I'm wondering if my expectations are too high after reading Divergent...

The bad: I don't know guys. I liked it. The main characters were pretty well-developed, but the problem is that Helen kind of pissed me off. I didn't like her as much as I wanted to. I also thought there were some parts where I didn't actually care how it ended because it dragged on and on. The dialogue bothered me too. Too many exclamation marks, and it sounded awkward, which really bothered me. Okay, so those were the bad parts.

The good: Mmmm Lucas. I want him. For some reason I really like the guys that will do anything to protect their woman. Even when he supposedly hated her, he couldn't stay away. And their romance was sweet, I wish there had been more of it. The mythology was really cool, and I liked how the Fates followed them around. I feel like there's so much richness on the subject coming up in the installment and I'm excited to see what she does with it. I also really liked Claire. She was such a great friend to Helen and I'm glad she sort of knew all along that Helen was different. I loved her sassy-ness. And Claire and Jason... well you'll have to read to find out.

*SPOILERS!*
Okay, I have to get this off my chest. I was just thinking about Cassandra Clare's Mortal Instruments series and how I would love to write a book where the main character fell in love with her brother or at least a close relative they never knew about. But Clare's so ingenious that I would feel like I could never live up to the job that she did. And sorry, Mrs. Angelini, but you don't either. No, Lucas, is not her brother, but they're first cousin's and it for some reason bothers the crap out of me that this author tried that. And not only that, but then she told us a couple scenes later that it was all a rouse, that they weren't really related. Ugh, what, no tension?? That annoyed me more than anything else and why I gave this four stars, as well as the bad things I wrote up earlier.

The other thing I wanted to mention was the return of Helen's mother. What bothered me was that her mom was such a bitch. I don't trust her as far as I can throw her, but I feel like she's also too vindictive for YA lit. Okay, maybe not too vindictive, but too violent and disgustingly persuasive. I don't know, I just really want her to go away and never come back. Poor Hector has to be holed up with her.

Don't get me wrong. It was a great debut and I'm excited for the next one! It was a good twist on the popular Greek myths starting to pop up in YA and Independent Reader lit.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Starcrossed.

06/08/2011 page 392
79.0% "Irksome dialogue but I'm really wrapped up in this story!"