Marieme's Reviews > Peeps

Peeps

By Scott Westerfeld
304pp. Penguin Group.
ISBN: 1-59514-083-2

"After a year of hunting, I finally caught up with Sarah."

Right away, Peeps, a novel by Scott Westerfeld begins with suspense. As soon as I read the very first sentence, I wanted to see what this Sci-Fi book would be about. Peeps is a story about a 19 year-old boy named Cal Thompson, who after an encounter with a women named Morgan, ends up being infected by a dangerous parasite. This parasite isn't one that can be treated or removed with the help of a doctor's prescription. This parasite causes a change in people, but luckily, Cal is only a carrier, meaning that although he's been infected, he hasn't experienced any of the bad symptoms. Unluckily, Cal has infected his ex girlfriends and now they've become vampires; Cal likes to call them "Peeps". Cal soon realizes that since he further spread this infection, it's up to him to hunt down each former girlfriend before more peeps are created. Throughout his journey to locate all of the infected peeps, Cal has several new experiences and makes new discoveries. One of these experiences includes him falling in love with a journalism student whom he cannot pursue because of his infection.

The first book that I'd seen written by Scott Westerfeld was Uglies and it surprised me when I learned that the book was Sci-Fi. When I saw that Peeps was written by the same author, I had a better idea of what to expect, but was still hesitant to read anything fantasty related or unrealistic. I ended up giving this novel a chance, and I'm glad that I did. Although I've grown quite tired of reading, seeing and hearing about vampires, Scott Westerfeld writes about them in what I found to be a more scientific and different way. He writes about them being hosts to parasites rather than people who've been bitten by someone else who was bitten and so on. By creating a new type of vampire in a way, Westerfeld makes Peeps a new kind of story. I think that Westerfeld did a great job with the details and story line of the book. He makes the characters (such as Cal) seem so normal yet supernatural at the same time, which I think is a tough balance to achieve.

I would recommend this book to anyone who loves reading about vampires or any other sci-fi or supernatural characters. I'd also recommend this book to people who've read any of Scott Westerfeld's other book. I'm sure that if they liked his style of writing in the others, they'll like his style of writing here. I think that this book would be good for people aged 14 and up.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Peeps.