Cathy's Reviews > No Plot? No Problem!: A Low-Stress, High-Velocity Guide to Writing a Novel in 30 Days

No Plot? No Problem! by Chris Baty

Mar 22, 11

bookshelves: how-to, library, nonfiction, writing
Read from February 25 to March 20, 2011

Primarily written with the intention of prepping writers on their journey of a month long writing frenzy to produce a 50,000 or 175-page rough draft for National Novel Writing Month, this book had some excellent tips I will take with me in my own writing journey whether it be for the month of NaNoWriMo or just in general. NaNoWriMo creator Chris Baty literally believes No Plot, No Problem - if you write vivid enough characters, their actions will by default create a readable and enjoyable plot; but he does admit that writing at such a frenzied pace is only the start to one's writing and that there are days, weeks and perhaps months of revisions and hard work ahead of (and in addition to) all the writing that encompassed the first 50,000 words. I thought this book was written in a fun, believable and motivating way to get novice writers to get out there and get writing. Another benefit of this quick novel was the first-hand experiences that were shared in the gray blocks in the midst of chapters of other writers who embarked on NaNoWriMo. Two of my favorite tips: Take this [writing] project seriously and Don't take this [writing] project seriously - In other words, have fun with it; if you wake up everyday hating that you have to sit in front of the computer and write, maybe this is not the craft for you; push yourself to write a little more than you did yesterday but don't write so much that you think it has to be perfect. Can't wait for November 2011 to try out some of Chris Baty's ideas!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read No Plot? No Problem!.