Barbara's Reviews > Painted Ladies

Painted Ladies by Robert B. Parker

Jan 15, 11

Read in January, 2011

I had previously thought I had read Parker's last book, but now I really think this is it. I shall miss having his books there for me when I need his fiction and humor! It's like eating a bowl of chocolate ice cream- you know it's not really good for you, but so comforting!

**********************************************************************************************************

Again Robert Parker has provided me with the perfect medium for a snowy day!One cannot compare him to authors such as Ruth Rendell, Agatha Christie and others whose writing shines through mystery novels, but his style and characters have provided his followers with plots which rarely fail to please. Despite the occurence of murders and the challenges presented to his popular character, Spenser, the novel contained his clever repartee,terse conversations and unforeseen events.

This was Parker's last offering prior to his death and one of his recent best. The major thrusts are art theft and coincident involvement of Israelis to retrieve stolen articles during the holocaust. Parker offered a chilling view of the frustrations and terror of Jewish victims at that time.

One of the enjoyable aspects of reading Parker's books has been his focus on the geographical area where I live. It is a pleasure to visualize places and landmarks in his stories as I read.

"We were standing near the George Washington statue that faced Arlington Street. It was March. There was still snow in the Public Garden, but it was diminishing. Of course, in Boston March is not necessarily blizzard-free, but the odds are better, and so far the odds were holding." p.288
7 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Painted Ladies.

message 1: by Kelly (new)

Kelly Ohh, love this comment you wrote!!

Barbara Thanks, Kelly!
Review to follow tomorrow!

message 3: by Kelly (new)

Kelly I'll be looking for it!

message 4: by Cynthia (last edited Jan 10, 2011 11:02AM) (new)

Cynthia Art theft? WW II. You've got my attention. You make it sound enticing.

Barbara There are certainly better approaches to the topics, but I enjoyed the book!

message 6: by Sue (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sue I love the quote about the Public Garden and the statue facing Arlington Street. Ah March in Boston. We begin to feel spring is possible again.

I will miss Parker's books also, comforting and dependable reads, always well-written and this story was really interesting.

Barbara There were so may more places mentioned in the book, weren't there, Susan? Sometimes he "took liberties", shuffling towns and turnpikes around, but such fun. Sad to see the end of Spenser, et al.

message 8: by Sue (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sue I always enjoyed figuring out which town was which and what university was what. I also enjoyed him gazing across Boylston Street to watch workers (especially female) in the building opposite or watching pedestrians below in whatever clothes were appropriate for the season.

He knew Boston, just changed it "to protect the innocent" and maybe the guilty too!

Barbara I agree with all!!! :)

message 10: by Kelly (new)

Kelly Hey Barbara - I've been browsing one of my favorite booksites and happened to see that there is another Spenser book coming out in May called Sixkill. I knew you'd want to know! I'd link to it, but I guess you can't do that in comments... I thought you could, but guess I was wrong. Anyways, you can look it up! :)

message 11: by Kelly (new)

Kelly Well, let me try adding it manually and see if it works... Sixkill

message 12: by Kelly (new)

Kelly YAY!

Barbara Thank you, Kelly! All reviews said that Painted... was his last book. He died a year ago, so he must have had a treasure trove of books stockpiled with his editors! He was a dynamo!

message 14: by Sue (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sue Thanks from me too Kelly. The good thing for me is being on an automatic list so I will get it when my turn comes up at the library (even if I didn't know it existed).

Barbara Susan, are you as surprised as I am? I've already ordered it from the library and there's a waiting list. It hasn't even been published yet!

message 16: by Sue (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sue I guess there are a lot of people who have been keeping tabs on what he left in the works.

There is so much pre-publication publicity now that I'm not as surprised at the waiting list as I would have been in the past. I put a hold on a book that I thought was out but apparently is only out in Britain now and U.S. this spring. Another mystery author I discovered this year--Ellie Griffiths. I think her 3rd is now out in England and we're waiting on the 2nd.