Ashley's Reviews > The City of Ember

Nov 15, 2010

liked it
bookshelves: 2010
Read from November 15 to 16, 2010

This is so much like all the other books I've read in this genre. I didn't really think it had many more interesting ideas to offer, although it wasn't bad. I might read the other ones if I get a chance but we'll see.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The City of Ember.

Reading For Sanity well, you should have read THIS one first!! ;)
I really liked it. But I hadn't read many others in that genre (except The Giver, of course).

Joseph I liked this book, but I felt like the sequel was bad enough that I haven't read any of the others. In case you're interested.

Reading For Sanity A series that I really liked was The Tripods Series by John Christopher. Of course, I read it when I was in the 5th grade, so I might not have been as picky back then.

Ashley See, and I compare everything to "The Giver" series which I think was amazing. I feel like everything else is trying to be as groundbreaking and cool as "The Giver." Good to know the sequel is bad. I won't put it high on my priority list, even though I actually have it from the library right now. I'll check out "The Tripods Series."

Reading For Sanity It's pretty juvenile, but I remember being captivated by it when I was younger...
I LOVED The Giver (thanks to Mrs. Bybee, for that one...and a few others) and one of the reasons I liked The City of Ember was because it had Giver-ish tendencies, but wasn't exactly The Giver. I read the second one and thought it was okay, but not as good as the first. I have the third and fourth (the third is actually a prequel) but I haven't read either of them.

Ashley Yeah, Bybee certainly hooked us up. I also think Lowry is a great author--every word means something in "The Giver" series and it has a beautiful, simplistic voice that I think really works for it. I just kind of felt like "City of Ember" ripped off the idea and didn't execute it as well.

Reading For Sanity That Jeanne DuPrau - what a hack!! ;)

Ashley No, Stephanie Meyer--What a hack!

Reading For Sanity You caught my "winky face" right?

Ashley I did. I just wanted to make sure that if we talked about hacks, we included the ultimate one. :)