Elise's Reviews > The Help

The Help by Kathryn Stockett

Dec 03, 11

bookshelves: historical-fiction, civil-rights
Read in November, 2010

This is a good read. Sure, the author gets criticized for writing in the voice of black women when she is white. And maybe sometimes the tone is ambivalent and could use a bit more passion. But I thought she did an excellent job of just telling a story without trying to beat you over the head with it.

It was obvious from the beginning that Skeeter was supposed to be Kathryn Stockett, and that for some reason felt a bit tacky to me. I also thought the whole naked exhibitionist attacking man was a bit unnecessary. I mean, he was unnecessarily naked. He could've been just a regular scary man. Why did he have to be such a descriptively gross and perverted naked one?

The ending sure left me wanting for more--more on the repercussions and consequences of the book, etc.

The book provided a good opportunity for me to think about these issues and gave insight into the social problems of that day. I can never get over the fact that the civil rights movement was so recent. I mean, this was only fifty years ago! It is hard for me to imagine how people could be so cruel and thick-headed in a modern society. And I can't help but worry what I would have done if I lived then. I hope I would've treated people of all races equally with kindness even though racism was the social norm.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Help.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Natalie I know! It's crazy that it wasn't that long ago. Zach's grandparents lived in Texas and had a black woman working for them from the time his mom was 2. She became part of the family and moved with them whenever they moved. His grandma and mom say the book really does depict how it was back then. It's crazy thinking of all the stories they tell us and that it really wasn't that long ago.

Natalie I know! Zach's grandparents lived in the south and lived through this. They had a black lady who took care of Zach's mom and siblings. She was family to them until she passed away just a few years ago. Zach's grandma says kathryn Stockett described that era/life perfectly. It's crazy to think about it being so recent.