Giovanni Gelati's Reviews > The Adventures of Unemployed Man

The Adventures of Unemployed Man by Erich Origen

Nov 26, 10

Read from November 15 to 17, 2010

I enjoy reading graphic novels for many reasons and The Adventures of Unemployed Man is a prime example. It takes the basic premise that the economy is bad right now, but incrementally worse if you are the one laid off and without a job. The graphic novel does its job through incredibly sarcastic humor and a poignant narrative that is bound to hit home with those that are struggling and those that are rich and cruising along. No one goes away unscathed from this story; it is really a great plotline.
Check it out: ”MAIN STREET, USA-Against incredible odds, jobless crusader UNEMPLOYED MAN and his sidekick PLAN B embark on a heroic search for work-and quickly find themselves waging an epic battle against The Just Us League, a dastardly group of supervillains including THE HUMAN RESOURCE, TOXIC DEBT BLOB, PINK SLIP and THE INVISIBLE HAND.
Experience this action-packed story in THE ADVENTURES OF UNEMPLOYED MAN-a fearless, brilliant, and provocative book that ASTOUNDS with incisive wit and AMAZES with stunning insights into the desperate situation so many heroes find themselves in today.
A new supergroup of down-but-not-out heroes has emerged from the economic crisis, including perpetual grad student MASTER OF DEGREES, fix-it-with-tape DUCTO, pain-shrinking therapist GOOD GRIEF, checkbook unbalancer ZILCH, shadow worker FANTASMA, and WONDER MOTHER, who built her invisible jet from pieces of the glass ceiling.
These heroes have enlisted the help of Erich Origen and Gan Golan, the dynamic duo behind the New York Times bestseller GOODNIGHT BUSH. Together they tell the story of our intrepid heroes' climactic clash with the self-interested villains who dwell in the Hall of Just Us, devising sinister plots that threaten the entire world.
This richly illustrated book is a parody of classic superhero comics from the Golden Age to the present day-and a brilliant dissection of our current economic meltdown. It features dazzling artwork by such comics legends as Ramona Fradon, Rick Veitch, Michael Netzer, Terry Beatty, Josef Rubenstein, Benton Jew, Thomas Yeates, Shawn Martinbrough, Clem Robins, Tom Orzechowski, Thomas Mauer and Lee Loughridge. “
That is a serious amount of credits but they are definitely due. The artwork was really good and fit like a glove. The dialogue was amazing, and the parodies of just about everything were so funny it made the graphic novel difficult to put down. I am going to say that this is a must read, whether you are a fan of the genre or not, the plotline and writing are just too strong.
What are you reading today? Check us out and become our friend on Shelfari & Linkedin. Go to Goodreads and become our friend there and suggest books for us to read and post on. You can also follow us on Twitter, and the Gelati’s Scoop Facebook Fan Page. Did you know you can shop directly on Amazon by clicking the Gelati’s Store Tab on our blog? Thanks for stopping by today; We will see you tomorrow. Have a great day. http://www.gelatisscoop.blogspot.com

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Adventures of Unemployed Man.

11/15/2010 page 5
11/17/2010 page 80
100.0% "Our review will be up Black Friday!!"