Jenny's Reviews > Frostbite

Frostbite by Richelle Mead

F_50x66
Nov 15, 10

Read in October, 2010

** spoiler alert ** Vampire Academy -- Frostbite by Richelle Mead.

This book is about a girl named Rose who lives among other vampires in an academy. In this academy they have to fight other vampires to take care of everyone else, go on missions, and protect the royal people. One of the royal princesses, Lissa, is assigned to be protected by Rose the main character and another man named Demitri. Rose is 7 years younger than Demitri, and she's in love with him. So when she guards Lissa, she gets half distracted sometimes because of having to work with the person you've always loved everyday. Lissa, the royal princess is also dating another guy who goes to the Academy, he's a royal but not as important, Christian.

The theme of the book is Sci-Fi, Romance, and Adventure. When the people in the academy have to protect the princess Lissa all the way, they'll have do whatever they can to protect her, even risk their own life for her. They go through challenges of people trying to attack Lissa or other people in the Royal family, or even other vampires who go to the academy.

I like the author's writing style, it's not as clique as other vampires books because usually the other vampire books are about humans and trying to either not eat them up or hiding their secret. This book is sort of about protecting themselves. In this book, there are 2 types of vampires. The ones that don't drink human blood and do all good things, guardians. Or the ones that drink human blood and kill all of the humans they see around; not really caring if their secret goes out since they're pretty much careless about everything they do. So it has nothing to do with humans, they have witches too in the book. They're not really called witches, they're basically vampires that could practice magic I think. And it's cool how they have vampires protecting other vampires, because it's usually the vampires protecting the humans.

I think that Rose's character isn't really developed. I think it isn't very developed because all you pretty much know about her is that she acts tough and she doesn't like attention or doing things that get other people to like her specially. She basically is cool with everyone, and she spends most of her time trying to keep Lissa safe and trying to find out if Demitri likes her too. At the end, she finds out he does care about her. And I think her character is also undeveloped because you can tell from the other scenes from people around her that they're cautious about things to mention. Like for example, I know she has a mother, Rose doesn't like her mother. But there's no reason or anything in between explaining.

This book is one of my favorite books, I love reading books about vampires. I would recommend this book to my friends, but they should read the first book first. I didn't get to read the first book, so I was kind of reading from the middle.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Frostbite.