Hafsah Laziaf's Reviews > Angelfire

Angelfire by Courtney Allison Moulton

Jan 13, 11

Read from January 05 to 12, 2011

Angelfire was high on my must-read list. It seemed like everyone rated it as action-packed and fastpaced. That must be why it was such a big disappointment for me - it didn't live up to its hype.

Ellie is a normal 16 year old. Well, almost normal. Her grades are dropping and her 17th birthday's coming up with a huge party. Enter Will, her Guardian, supposed to protect and aid her in killing reapers - wolf-like creatures that eat humans and send their souls straight to Hell.

She finds out that she's been doing this - killing reapers and protecting humans - for centuries. Yes, hundreds of years. She'll die, but her soul reincarnates again. But the demonic reapers have come across something that may end her life forever, so that she'll never come back.

Why didn't Angelfire live up to its hype for me? For one, the action-packed and fast-paced part was sort of lacking. I thought it was pretty predictable and I sort of guessed some of the moves before they happened. And sometimes it moved a little too slow. However, that wasn't really an issue, I don't mind not being action-packed.
My real problem was that it contained way to many references to religion. We're talking about divine forms (God, angels by name), heaven, and hell - it was a little TOO much, for my liking. I confess, I actually skipped past those parts, and I think, out of the 291 pages (in the eARC), I may have skipped 15-20 pages total.

For some of you, religious references may not be an issue, based on your beliefs, but to me, it was an issue. I think YA fiction and religion are two concepts meant to be kept FAR AWAY from each other.

Why I didn't rate it lower? I think the debut author deserves credit for the unique plot and the characters, who seemed like the average humans they were trying to depict (not like some novels where the charcters are unnaturally perfect or pratically emotionless, know what I mean?).

I was really disappointed with the outcome of Angelfire for me. I expected so much out of it, but I'm not sure what happened. It's not an outright "no", but it's not what I would pick up immediately if I had a second chance.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Angelfire.

Mad Scientist Oh, you are going to like it! Highly recommend this one. I'm sure I told you this on Twitter :)

message 2: by Tahlia (new) - added it

Tahlia Newland I have a feeling there might be too much horror in this one. et me know how heavy it is.L

Mad Scientist Horror... I don't think so. There are a few demons and fights between the angels and demons like most typical angel books but nothing severe. It is a YA so it is on the lighter side. I really loved this book. It was completely hard to put down.

Hafsah Laziaf Don't spoil it for me @MadScientist :P

@TahliaNewland Be sure to look out for my review!

Mad Scientist I kept to the back of the book style of info. I didn't want to give anything away. ;)

I know everyone's idea of horror or scary is different. So, I'm not sure how to classify this book. Perhaps, you can answer more once you finish the book.

Hafsah Laziaf I'll definitely try!

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

Hmm, I'll be interested to read your review because I had high hopes for this one.