Snail in Danger (Sid) Nicolaides's Reviews > The Mischief of the Mistletoe

The Mischief of the Mistletoe by Lauren Willig

Nov 15, 2010

liked it
bookshelves: romance, mystery-genre

Three stars as a mildly amusing read-once thing. More like 2 or 2.5 overall, really.

I actually read this a couple weeks ago, but somehow neglected to add it to Goodreads. That's the reason I am re-reading the series. I was going to re-read this one too, but I ... can't quite bring myself to.

However, I suspect continuity problems. Minor ones that can be handwaved away, but still. Like, Turnip — yes, the hero is named called Turnip — was using a saw and not an axe in The Temptation of the Night Jasmine, and there's no indication that he had anything to do with Arabella. (Tommy Fluellen took her into dinner and whatnot. Now there's someone who actually seems interesting enough to deserve his own book.)

Also, it's kind of hilarious that Willig described the heroine as "the pudding-faced Miss Dempsey" in the last book. Given that Christmas puddings are prominent in this book. Also also, I don't think that people said "No worries" in this time period. But maybe I'm wrong.

---

I re-read this in late November/early December 2012, after enjoying The Twelve Clues of Christmas and thinking it might be nice to read another English house party-themed Christmas mystery. Unfortunately, this one doesn't really measure up to that standard. It does also have a few recipes in the back.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Mischief of the Mistletoe.