Yaseena's Reviews > Emily's Ghost: A Novel of the Brontë Sisters

Emily's Ghost by Denise Giardina

Dec 14, 10

bookshelves: historical-fiction
Read from December 07 to 14, 2010

I am an avid fan of Wuthering Heights and Emily Bronte has always been my favourite of the three famous Bronte sisters. What I loved about this novel was the authors poetic redition of a period of Emily's life rarely discussed. She was only able to publish the one novel before her young death, but what a novel it was!

The love affair between Emily and William Weightman was beautiful and poignant, and provided endless insight into the complexitity of Emily Bronte's nature.

The author's colouring of the supporting characters in this book namely Charlotte and Anne was at times both frustrating and endearing. Anne and Emily were quite close, emily continually feeling like an outsider for her contempt of society and unwillingness to be a hyprocrit and bend to the foolish will of others as her older sister Charlotte continually urged her to do. I loved reading about the bond between Emily and Anne, although it seemes that even her closest ally could not fully understand her. Charlotte on the other hand was the villain for me in the novel. I've never been a huge fan of Charlotte Bronte's. I've read Jane Eyre and although it's supposed to be such a romantic story I grew frustrated with the characters and after having read biographies on the Bronte sisters Charlotte has come to be my least favourite. In the book she comes across as selfish, single-minded in her pursuit of love - no matter the costs to her familial relationships, not picky about where it comes from! She was manipulative at times and had such an air of supreriority towards her family - thinking them uneducated and lacking in social grace. I almost hated her in the book for her role in Emily's unhappiness towards the end as well as her assertion that "Charlotte knows best". She was such a frustrating, condescending character, full of judgements against those who tried to do all they could to please her.

Overall this book was a wonderful rendition of the lives of the Bronte sisters during their youths into early adulthood.

A must read for anyone who loves Wurthering Heights and especially Emily Bronte.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Emily's Ghost.

12/07/2010 page 39