Betsy's Reviews > Standing on the Promises

419395
Nov 15, 10

bookshelves: christian, parenting
Read in November, 2010

I was a bit leery going into this book since I most definitely do not agree with the recent trends in Wilson's theology/practice (Federal Vision and co.), but I really appreciated this book. There are overtones in this book that tend towards some of the theology I find questionable, but overall, this is a very thought-provoking book. The general emphasis is on the covenantal nature of the family, particularly the covenantal responsibilities of parents and the resulting covenantal benefits for their children. I particularly appreciated his reminders of when to administer physical discipline, the description of the overall tone in the home, the distinction between house rules and biblical morality (and how that should affect our judgment of/encouragement of others outside our home with different rules), the treatment of the roles within the family, and the reminders that biblical living is not age-specific (in other words, "do all things without grumbling" applies equally to parents AND their one-year old child). Worth a read, but read discerningly; Wilson makes some very bold, categorical statements that have really prompted me to think and want to get in the Word more and study. This is a meaty book, but a fairly quick read nonetheless.
4 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Standing on the Promises.