Veens's Reviews > Cat Among the Pigeons

Cat Among the Pigeons by Agatha Christie

Nov 15, 10

bookshelves: 2010-read
Read in October, 2010

** spoiler alert ** 2nd Christie book and 1st Poirot book ever, and I had this sitting on my stands since 1986 ( since I was a 3 year old). Can you believe that? Absolutely, no joking. This copy of mine was signed by my Dad in 6/1986 and someone bought it for 23 Rs 80 Ps. Yo! No my Dad was not rich and I have bad feeling that this came from someone else and was never given back. He cannot remember how he got it, but he remembers giving it to his brother for reading, and that is where I got it from.
So, I have no clue why I never read it. But now that I have, I am glad I finally did, it doesn’t matter it is after 24 years ), Hardly matters, doesn’t it?
Meadowbank is the finest school in the whole of London, exotic – where Princess of different countries are sent and people at high places send there kids to be properly groomed. So it is hardly good for the reputation of the school, when a teacher (mistress) of the school is found dead in the Sports Pavilion (Gym). The first part of the book, gives us a sneak peek into Middle East, which is at the verge of a Revolution against the current King, because he is democratic and is not the blood-thirsty maniac his father was…

“While in England people who are picturesque and violent cause embarrassment and are not much liked, in the Middle East, Bob was fairly sure, it was different.”

Now, every King or Prince, people like that have reserves of fine jewels and here also jewels worth 3 and a half million go missing from the King’s possession. Where are these jewels?, are still in Ramat (the country’s name), or have they been shipped out by someone?

There is great characterization, you can definitely guess where the jewels are hidden. There was only two things that did not work out for me -

1) Entry of Poirot is in the very end after a school girl has already solved most of the mystery of course not the killer.

**Spoiler**

2) It was just the matter of Julia’s mom identifying the women whom she had seen on the 1st day of the term, I just did not get how they (as in the Police, CID guys etc) could not employ the same influence as Poirot in finding Julia’s Mom.

**Spoiler End**

I was pleasantly surprised at Rich’s story as well, and I was thinking Julia could have made a wonderful amateur sleuth, if given a chance. This doesn’t mean I didnot enjoy it at all, I did. I was surprised at who the killer was. I for once was wrong entirely. This was an enjoyable read but not as good as the last one I read.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Cat Among the Pigeons.

Quotes Veens Liked

Agatha Christie
“Everybody always knows something," said Adam, "even if it's something they don't know they know.”
Agatha Christie, Cat Among the Pigeons