Louize's Reviews > Speak

Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson

3019973
Mar 09, 11

Recommended to Louize by: jzhunagev
Recommended for: everyone, especially parents
Read from March 01 to 06, 2011 — I own a copy

"When people don't express themselves, they die one piece at a time."

Silence dominates Melinda Sordino’s freshman year in Merryweather High School. A recent traumatic experience that led to a very complicated misunderstanding sent a sudden collapse on her being. Aside from being completely mute in public, Melinda’s private and social life is in ruins. Slowly, she began to lose interest in everything, including her family and school. If possible, she also wants to lose the memory of that traumatic night. Abandoned and confused, Melinda longs for someone to comfort her. And so, since no one seems to care and listen, she privately engages in these heartbreaking monologues.

"My face becomes a Picasso sketch, my body slicing into pieces."

Social stigmatization is not just cultural. It happens everywhere. It is most difficult when uninformed perceptions push a person into self-ostracism. Secrets and stigma are the most prominent theme on Melinda’s account of her freshman year. The first person narration of Speak is its best character. And Melinda’s monologues drove a great impact, making it very personal for every reader.

"You have to know what you stand for, not just what you stand against."

Strongly, this book stressed how important family relationship is. Harmony within our home is the best comfort and security for our children, they become more open. Encouraging our children to speak up boldly (but respectful) without fear of being punished or humiliated may be their best way to survive and lead a healthy life.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Speak.

03/02/2011 page 20
10.0% "Me sorprende que estoy tan cansada hoy. = You're lost! That made me laugh."
show 1 hidden update…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

jzhunagev Nice review, Louize!

Have a nice day! ^_^

message 2: by Louize (last edited Mar 08, 2011 05:42PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Louize jzhunagev wrote: "Nice review, Louize!

I like this one! Now that you said it, is self-ostracism, in anyway, similar to alienation?"

Thanks Jzhun!!!
Self-alienation... yes, in a way they are the same. I think self-alienation will do more appropriately for Melinda, though, now that you've mentioned it. Self- alienation or self-estrangement means you're not only hiding yourself from others, you are also hiding from yourself.

jzhunagev Louize wrote: "Self- alienation or self-estrangement means you're not only hiding yourself from others, you are also hiding from yourself."

Thanks! I really like your explanation. :)

message 4: by K.D. (new) - added it

K.D. Absolutely Wow, I love this review of yours, Louize! Makes the book interesting!

Louize Thank you KD. Very interesting talaga s'ya. Short but a heartfelt story. It's good to know na this book is a recommended school read. I will make my daughter read this after her Forrest Gump books.

Louize Thank you po sa lahat ng "likes" (pag-ibig as per Emir)!
(^_^)

message 7: by K.D. (new) - added it

K.D. Absolutely Dapat ito isama sa YA read ng Q3.

message 8: by Emir Never (new)

Emir Never I saw a copy of this a while back. Looked brand new for a cheap price. I did not buy it. Tsk.

jzhunagev Tama K.D.! :)

message 10: by Alex (new) - rated it 5 stars

Alex Schuette I think that she was just scared of IT and what he would do to her, but I would also think that she was wanting to tell someone what happened that night.