Sarah's Reviews > A Short History of Nearly Everything

A Short History of Nearly Everything by Bill Bryson

Jun 08, 07

I have to say this is by far one of the best books I've ever read. Although I haven't finished I'm in love with this book.
My chemistry teacher gave me it to read a while back and it took me a while to get started on it, but after I did I couldn't put it down. You don't have to have a real passion for physics or biology or chemistry to appreciate the book as a whole. Although I find some chapters more intresting than others, the footnotes that Bryson includes definetly make the book as lighthearted as its supposed to be, even when you're discussing how devestating the effects of a meteor the size of Kansas hitting us would be. His indepth explination of the lives of many scientist make the book easier to relate to. and even in the chapters that I don't find as intresting like the chapter called "cells" [I was never that fond of biology] when he dicusses that if you increased the atom to the size of a pea, the cell would be a half mile long and thing the size of cars and basketballs would be spinning around in circles at incredible speeds.

This book has introduced me to so many different things, and has made the sciences a lot more approachable then one could imagine. And especially for me, someone who loves chemistry, this book comes out as one of top notch quality.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Short History of Nearly Everything.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Kenny Bell PLEASE READ* Do you remember when he talked about stromatolites-the ancient rock structure dated from 3.5 billion years ago, made from cynobacteria-blue/green algae. He says the scientist agree that these were the first origins of life. My question is how do scientist know that the rock is the object that is 3.5 billion yrs old and not the organisms? Because the organisms could just have appeared when man first appeared.(Adam and Eve)

Sarah Kenny wrote: "PLEASE READ* Do you remember when he talked about stromatolites-the ancient rock structure dated from 3.5 billion years ago, made from cynobacteria-blue/green algae. He says the scientist agree tha..."

First off, I read this book back in 2007, so quoting parts to me is irrelevant. Also, there is no god, therefore the story of Adam and Eve is not true.