Kater Cheek's Reviews > Some We Love, Some We Hate, Some We Eat: Why It's So Hard to Think Straight About Animals

Some We Love, Some We Hate, Some We Eat by Hal Herzog

Nov 14, 10

Read in November, 2010

This is my perfect kind of book: well written, first hand accounts of research done by the author, and on a subject that literally everyone has some relation to in one way or another.

As the title suggests, this book concerns the field of anthrozoology, human and animal relations. While Herzog touches on works from authors I've already read (Temple Grandin, Malcolm Gladwell) he has enough of his own research that much of this was new to me. I found myself reading passage after passage aloud, intrigued by the irony and hypocrisy that infuses virtually every animal-human relation. Why do we cry over the suffering of a housecat, but care little for the prey it maims? Why do some "vegetarians" eat fish? Why are mice not considered "animals" when it comes to animal research?

Herzog is an omnivore who uses animals for research, but he's also something of a philosopher, and discusses morality and ethics. I imagine vegans and animal rights activists will find his views cold and heartless, but since I'm an omnivore who thinks most animals are jerks, I found them merely intriguing. IF nothing else, this book will give you stuff to talk about with your friends. I highly recommend it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Some We Love, Some We Hate, Some We Eat.