Michael's Reviews > On Writing: A Memoir of the Craft

On Writing by Stephen King

Nov 14, 2010

liked it
Read from November 14 to December 02, 2010

Somehow I have never read a Stephen King book and this was a good place to start. King warms us up with a childhood memoir (his was pretty similar to Barack Obama's)adn then launches into the straight dope on developing ideas, style and work habits. Peppered with longshoreman profanity and saltily funny, this ain't Strunk & White. Many of his ideas are good enough to steal which I will for the Design Communications class I teach at Univerity of Colorado-Denver.

I lopped off a star for King's gratuitous inclusion of long sections on a) his drug/booze rehab, and b) recovery from being hit by a van while walking the backroads of Maine.

The book makes a fine companion to Anne Lamott's "Bird by Bird" but suffers from the same problem of too much autobiography. Both writers do better when they stick to their topic: Writing.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read On Writing.

Alice I enjoyed the autobiographical parts just because it was testimony to King's ability to write through anything. The man is a writing machine -- even when he literally gets hit by a truck (or van). But I agree. Surprisingly, quite good.