Courtney Maenner's Reviews > The Bourne Identity

The Bourne Identity by Robert Ludlum

Feb 28, 14

bookshelves: upper-grade, 2014-reads
Read from February 08 to 28, 2014

Let me start out by saying that I was surprised at how different from the movie this book was. I think the movie was great, don't get me wrong, but I was surprised at how many liberties they took with the movie. In fact, I think it's safe to say that they took the main character, Jason Bourne, with the same background story (a assassin/amnesiac who is trying to piece together who they are) and then went with a totally different story.

This is one of the books that I listened to while driving to and from work - which means my experience with it is much different had I actually read it to myself. I think I would have actually enjoyed it more if I had read it myself. Naturally when you are driving and listening, your attention tends to start to go elsewhere every ten minutes or so and then come back after about a minute or two (that is if there are parts of the plot that aren't intense and exciting).

I thought the plot was set up very nicely in the book (I wish the man reading the story had done a better job when reading the character's voices, because it was hard to stop and then pick back up if he was in the middle of a conversation) with very few dynamic characters. I realize there were too many characters to try to develop them very far, but brief references to many characters became a little confusing for me from time to time.

I liked the way in which Ludlum kept the story moving and he also did a good job of describing the fight scenes - these can become so cumbersome to read if they are not executed properly. Based purely on listening to the story, I would give it 4 stars, but I'm sure if I had read it myself, I would have given it 5.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Bourne Identity.

02/08/2014 marked as: currently-reading