Steve Hart's Reviews > ...the Heavens and the Earth: A Political History of the Space Age

...the Heavens and the Earth by Walter A. McDougall

Dec 14, 10

Excellent book. I picked this up to learn more about NASA history now that i work for them, but expected it to be on things like the moon missions, etc. In fact, it was much more a book on the cold war and cold war policy. That being said, it was a fascinating look at how our R&D structures came into being and an interesting analysis of what happens when a capitalistic society tries to fight communism by installing state-run research and technology programs. "Technocracy" was the big word throughout. In all, the book was a much more thorough analysis of the cold war then most cold war books i've read because it delved right into the ambiguities and the policies that were enacted. Except for a few pages on various US and USSR missile and space budgets every now and then, it was a very engaging read, and I'd recommend it to anyone interested in how our attitudes towards funding science developed, the cold war, or the early days of the space race.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read ...the Heavens and the Earth.