Jessika's Reviews > Forever in Blue: The Fourth Summer of the Sisterhood

Forever in Blue by Ann Brashares

Nov 23, 10

bookshelves: series, chicklit, fiction, young-adult
Read from November 14 to 22, 2010, read count: 1

Although an excellent end to the series, I'm quite distraught that my time with the Sisterhood has come to an end. Although, I want these books to keep going and going, I liked how Ann Brashares ended this series. Enough was answered to satisfy me, and enough was left open-ended to allow my imagination to wander.

At this point in the series, if you've stuck with the girls, I feel like you've already decided whether you like Brashares style or not. I don't think she changes her style that much throughout the books, so I don't want to keep repeating the same things over and over in my reviews. Basically, these books are addicting, easy-to-read, and hard to put down.

So, I'll jump right into what I think about each of the girl's stories.

I'm going to start with Tibby because her story was my least favorite. I wanted to absolutely shake her. I could NOT handle her freak-out that took up 2/3 of the book. At first, I understood. But after the "worry" was over, I didn't like how she just shut down. Maybe I'm just too impatient or maybe I just can't relate to her character, but I just didn't like her in this one. I thought the end of her story wrapped up way too neatly, but then again, that doesn't bother me as much because I know that this series is a feel-good one and not necessarily realistic.

Next up on the list was Bridget because I was also really annoyed at her for about half of the novel. Until the big turn-around towards the end, it just didn't seem like Bridget had learned anything from the first book. However, I did appreciate her revelation. I also really enjoyed her interactions with her dad and her brother. It was nice to finally see something happen with her relationships with her immediate family, and while it was definitely a warm and fuzzy ending, it still seemed realistic without being overly schmaltzy.

I definitely enjoyed Lena's story. I loved hearing about her ventures in art school, and I LOVED Leo. I just wish their story had ended differently. And that's all I'm going to say about that because I don't want to spoil it. In other related Lena news, I was so happy to finally see her stand up for herself! She put her foot down with someone (it's really hard to write this review without spoiling it), and I jumped for joy! I also liked how the story with someone ended--it left just enough to the imagination without being a cheesy ending.

By far, though, my favorite story out of this one was Carmen's. I loved how she went on a journey of sorts to find herself. I liked how she had to figure out who she was outside of the context of the Sisterhood. I liked that she had to learn what constitutes a good friend. Oh, I just loved it. Maybe it's just because being a college senior myself, I remember my freshman woes about discovering who I was all too well. Carmen's search for identity is something everyone goes through at one point or another, moreso than any of the other stories, which makes it more relatable and more enjoyable all around.

As far as the ending of the series goes, I think Brashares ended it the only way she could. The lesson that the Pants teach the girls is one that everyone has to learn at one time or another, and I appreciated that she wrote this lesson without preaching. This whole series is a great one to remind the reader about the importance of appreciating our friends and family. It's so addicting, too, and honestly, if it weren't for having mountains of homework, I would have read this series in a number of days, rather than weeks. I highly recommend to those who like girly, feel-good stories about groups of friends.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Forever in Blue.

11/16/2010 page 26
7.0% "I probably won't be able to really get into this until at least tomorrow. But I love it so far. I'm hoping this lives up to the rest of the series!"
11/20/2010 page 99
25.0% "I'm still in the process of trying to adjust to each of the girls' new stories. It's good though."
11/21/2010 page 187
47.0% "Both Tibby and Bridget are really annoying me in this one. But I love Carmen's and Lena's storylines!" 2 comments
11/22/2010 page 313
78.0% "I don't want this to be over so soon! It makes me so sad to think my time with the girls is almost up."