Steve's Reviews > The Creed of Violence

The Creed of Violence by Boston Teran

Mar 31, 11

bookshelves: fiction, westerns
Read from November 14, 2010 to March 31, 2011

Given the most recent round of oil wars in Libya, Creed of Violence makes for some timely reading. Oh, it's another time and place (Mexico, 1910), but the reader will find some remarkable parallels. Controlling the oil is what's key here, and Teran does a good job bringing this bit of obscure history to light. At one point, late in the novel, Rawbone tells his son (though he doesn't yet know the man, and Federal agent he's been traveling with, is his son), that there "are two governments now...There is one that controls the White House, and there is one that controls the rest." For a quasi pulp foray, Teran does make a case. The epilogue to the novel, which briefly recounts events in Mexico during the Wilson administration, is pretty damning.

As to the novel itself, if you've read and enjoyed Teran before, you should be pleased with this effort. As I said above, Creed of Violence is a quasi pulp affair. Teran's earlier efforts, at least the ones I've read, (God Is a Bullet and Never Count Out the Dead are full blown pulp (and masterpieces of genre writing IMHO). Creed of Violence is more ambitious. The influence of Cormac McCarthy is obvious, the prose is lean and mean and mythic. The violence is both bloody and poetic. One thing that keeps me from looking at this totally as a piece of literature (though the book is published by the very literary Counterpoint Press), is Teran's annoying (and unneeded) tendency toward redundancy of phrase. However, that said, there's a lot to enjoy in this book. From what I understand, it's to be made into a movie (all of Teran's books (the ones I've read) would make for great movies). I may write more on this later, but for a more complete review on the story, I recommend James Thane's review on the book.
6 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Creed of Violence.