Amanda's Reviews > 'Tis Pity She's a Whore

'Tis Pity She's a Whore by John Ford

Jan 21, 08

bookshelves: past-reads
Recommended to Amanda by: katy stavreva
Recommended for: english majors whose world doesn't revolve around shakespeare
Read in January, 2006

** spoiler alert ** I read this play for my Shakespeare's Rivals course at the Newberry Library in Chicago. This was easily one of my favorite courses in college, not only because of the location, professor, resources, etc, but also because of the subject matter. The way things are now, you'd think Shakespeare was the only one who wrote anything in the 16-17th centuries.

This, along with Edward II, was one of my favorite materials for the class. The general storyline: A brother and sister fall in love, she gets knocked up, everyone else gets pissed off, he kills her and they kill him. Like King Lear, almost everyone dies of some cause or another by the end. And you really only feel sorry for the poor siblings.

Ford sheds a rather sympathetic light on incest, a topic which as a general rule warrants no sympathy from society. For that reason, it first inspired controversy, and then gradually faded into the shadow of more disguised satires of the time.

The reason why I rated this book so highly is primarily because it isn't written by Shakespeare, and yet still manages to pull the whole thing off.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read 'Tis Pity She's a Whore.