Jennifer's Reviews > The Pregnant Widow

The Pregnant Widow by Martin Amis

Nov 14, 2010

Read in November, 2010

There are times when reading Martin Amis that I feel as though I just don't get "it." And that is when I realize that the it I will never get is the thought process of the other sex. Seriously. Reading this book I identified with Lily and her frustration with Keith the main character and narrator. (Naming a hero Keith takes gumption). But then, I realize, that is the point. That is precisely why I love reading Amis, because it gives me a glimpse into a world so familiar and yet so completely different then my own that I am bewildered and yes, bewitched and bothered. That, my friends, is what makes fine literature.

As a beneficiary of the sexual revolution, I had no idea how difficult it was to experience it and then, to look back on the experience from the standpoint of thirty years. The point Amis makes about aging is a poignant. I will tuck it away and think about it.

"Life is made up as it goes along. It can never be rewritten. It can never be revised.
Life comes in the form of sixteen-hour units, between waking up and going to sleep, between escaping from the unreal and re-embracing the unreal. there are are over three hundred and sixty such units in each year."

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Pregnant Widow.

12/21/2016 marked as: read