Cait's Reviews > The Emperor of All Maladies: A Biography of Cancer

The Emperor of All Maladies by Siddhartha Mukherjee

1419944
Feb 23, 11

bookshelves: non-fiction, science, read-in-2011, titles-i-love, ucked-fay-up-way, owned, pulitzer
Read in February, 2011, read count: 1

Cancer fucking sucks.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Emperor of All Maladies.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Cindy (new) - added it

Cindy I love your shelf: "ucked-fay-up-way"! Very appropriate.

Jennifer D Cait, I am reading this right now and really, really loving it. (I feel like it's wrong to say that, somehow!?!) Mukherjee kicked some serious research-ass in writing this book.

Cait He did, absolutely. The writing was top notch too. I loved all of the literary references sprinkled throughout.

I probably shouldn't be surprised by this, but it is still amazing to me how many significant scientific hypotheses - especially about things so common for us today, like pap smears and mammograms - were initially the laughingstock of the lab. I guess that's just the nature of scientific discovery and progress (and that bitch hindsight).

This book really cemented my desire to pursue a career in or relating to oncology. I'm really looking forward to discussing this with you more when you are finished!

message 4: by Cindy (new) - added it

Cindy Cait wrote: "it is still amazing to me how many significant scientific hypotheses - especially about things so common for us today, like pap smears and mammograms - were initially the laughingstock of the lab."

This reminds me of incubators -- in the show Boardwalk Empire, they had a carnival "attraction" of infant incubators. Turns out the guy that invented them was laughed out of hospitals, so he decided to take them to fairs, turn them into an attraction to get donations, and to make the public see that they save lives. Pretty amazing & a wild idea.

Claire Just lost my sister to cancer and I totally agree - cancer sucks.