Rhonda's Reviews > Dreamfever

Dreamfever by Karen Marie Moning

Jan 02, 2011

bookshelves: favorites
Read from December 28, 2010 to January 01, 2011

What a great series so far!!!!
I have really enjoyed this series from beginning to end. The third installment was a bit challenging for me to finish, but I’m so glad I did!! Dreamfever definitely made up for any disappointments I had with the 3rd book.
This is an Urban Fantasy delight! I have enjoyed the characters so much. MacKayla Lane-Sedhe-seer extraordinaire, V’lane-Seelie death-by-sex Fae Prince (xoxo), Dani-tough as nails 13yr old Sedhe-seer, Jericho Barrons-?? Still don’t know what exactly he is, but I do know that I’m crazy about him.
Moning has done an awesome job at world building, and telling this story in the 1st person POV (which isn‘t easy to do). I don’t feel like I missed anything from any character in this series.
Not much on the romance side….or is there??? There is some sexual tension between Mac and Barrons, and I think Barrons tries very hard not to show emotion, for whatever his reasons are, but part of it is to help Mac be who she needs to be. Mac doesn’t get it, But I got it!!!
Mac has grown up alot since the start of the series, and I understand Barrons much more.
There is lots going on in this book, and has made the series thus far, definitely worth the read!!
There are some humorous times as well, with all the characters.
There is lots to love about this series!!!
AAAND once again we are left with a cliffhanger. I’m so glad I won’t have to wait long for the next book!

One of many favorite:

(Mac is waiting for Barrons to show up at the bookstore, when he comes in.)

I looked him up and down. Once before I’d seen Jericho Barrons wearing jeans and a T-shirt. It’s like sheet-metaling a W16 Bugatti Veyron engine - all 1,001 horsepower of it - with the body of a ‘65 Shelby. The height of sophisticated power sporting in-your-face, fuck-you muscle. The effect is disturbing.
He had more tattoos now than he’d had a few days ago.when I’d last seen him wearing nothing but a sheen of sweat, his arms were unmarked. They were now sleeved in intricate crimson and black designs, from bicep to hand. A silver cuff gleamed in his wrist. There were chains on his boots.
“Slumming, huh?” I’d said
You should talk, said those dark eyes, as they swept my black leather ensemble.

I loved this description!!!

12 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dreamfever.

12/29/2010 page 11
2.0% "I didn't make it very far last night. Partly because I was tired, mostly because I wasn't ready to face Mac yet!! But today is a new day, and Mac is strong, and she will overcome. Now let me just say, I can't stand Rowena, I don't trust her, I haven't from the beginning!! Moving on, let me see about Mac."
12/29/2010 page 45
9.0% "Well damn...At least Mac is enjoying her recovery for the moment!!! I hope she uuuuh makes a full recovery, and continues to enjoy herself!!!"
12/29/2010 page 70
14.0% "Tubthumping lyrics We'll be singing When we're winning We'll be singing I get knocked down But I get up again You're never going to keep me down Pissing the night away He drinks a whisky drink He drinks a vodka drink He drinks a lager drink He drinks a cider drink He sings the songs that remind him Of the good times He sings the songs that remind him Of the better times" 11 comments
12/30/2010 page 140
27.0% "I love Dani!!! I have liked her since she was standing outside Mac's window with sword in hand, in book 3!!" 33 comments
12/31/2010 page 275
54.0% "Marching right on through this one!!! LOVE IT!!!"
12/31/2010 page 335
65.0% "Gettin' deep!!"
show 1 hidden update…

message 1: by Elena R a.k.a. Lunies R (last edited Jan 01, 2011 09:33AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Elena R a.k.a. Lunies R WOW!! Now that rating surprised me big time. That was one heck of a drastic change in ratings. So did the series progress with more goodies as you kept reading?

Rhonda The third book was my only hang-up. Goodies??? Not in the way I would have liked to see things happen, but there's still time. Faefever was boring, didn't get good til 2/3 the way through. I can appreciate a series with no sex. But there was sexual tension between a few characters. That being said, they finally got together, but not the way I would have liked to see this happen.

Zeek aaaaaaaaa now you're all caught up to us! Not long now!

Ally72 Super review...I loved this one, Rhonda! We only have a couple of more weeks left to wait until Shadowfever. Yah!!!

message 5: by Rhonda (last edited Jan 01, 2011 12:16PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Rhonda Yaay!!! I've been racking my brain, trying to figure out who the beast is!! Obviously not Barrons, is it Christian? V'lane? Gaaaaah!!

Zeek SPOILER~

I think it may be Barrons- remember dead dont have to stay dead in sci fi fantasy....

Rhonda That was my first thought, but what about he hearing thr beast beneath the garage in Barron's presence. I guess it could be one of the other 8 down there.

Zeek that's my thinking- but who knows right?

Rhonda Zeek wrote: "that's my thinking- but who knows right?"

They go to Barrons basement to cool off!!! LOL

Rhonda SPOILER

OMG, ZEEK!!! The more I have thought about this, It makes sense for the beast to be Barrons!!! Makes sense why everyone is afraid of him too!!! Just blew my previous theory out of the water.
20 days!!

message 11: by Zeek (new) - rated it 5 stars

Zeek I know right? haha! It has to be him...

Rhonda *sniff,sniff*
There's no way he's dead!!! It would take more than that to take him down!!!

message 13: by Zeek (last edited Jan 02, 2011 06:40AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Zeek oh God no- he's not dead, beast or no. There's no way she's kill him off. THat would be career suicide! :P

Rhonda LMAO!!!!!

Laura the Highland Hussy the first page of Shadowfever is up on her facebook page...read it :)
It's mac looking over the edge of the cliff at whoever she stabbed.

Ally72 I have to wait because I know I will go crazy if I read it. Also, I need to reread the series so I know I won't be starting Shadowfever until February...I think! The only thing I will say is if Barrons is dead...I am done with KMM's books. Although, I really don't think that is going to happen.

Rhonda I'm dying!!!!!

This shit can't be!!!

Laura the Highland Hussy I doubt barrons is dead. I think he's who she stabbed, but I doubt he's dead

Rhonda *stomps around angry*
Better not be!!!!

message 20: by Ally72 (last edited Jan 03, 2011 03:17PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ally72 I really can't believe KMM would kill off Barrons in her last book. I have a feeling we might think he is dead for a portion of the book, but will find out differently as events unfold. I wouldn't be surprised at all if that happened. If that is the case, I want a portion of the book reserved for Barrons and Mac being happy with each other.

Rhonda I need them together, anything else is unacceptable!!!!

Jessa ♥dhanger♥ EvilDarkSide Ally wrote: "I really can't believe KMM would kill off Barrons in her last book. I have a feeling we might think he is dead for a portion of the book, but will find out differently as events unfold. I wouldn'..."

ITA, Ally! Barrons might be the one Mac "killed" but there is no way he will stay dead. It's just not possible that KMM would do such a thing. And I also agree with the need to see Mac and Barrons not only together but happy for a portion of the book. Otherwise, this series will be wasted and I refuse to believe that KMM would do that to us!

message 23: by Rhonda (last edited Jan 03, 2011 04:22PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Rhonda I can't believe that either, if she does, I'm burning all my KMM books!!

Ally72 I will be burning my books with you ladies if that happens, but I refuse to believe it! LOL!

message 25: by [deleted user] (new)

Rhonda wrote: "I can't believe that either, if she does, I'm burning all my KMM books!!"

I am with ya sista!

message 26: by Zeek (last edited Jan 04, 2011 12:11PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Zeek sigh

girls- one more time- in scifi/fantasy just because your dead doesnt mean you have to stay dead... obi wan? harry potter?? countless other tales??

remember the man tells Mac that himself- and I paraphrase "unless it's set on fire head chopped off and buried for three days it aint dead... and then your still not sure"- or something to that effect. :D

message 27: by [deleted user] (new)

Zeek wrote: "sigh

remember the man tells Mac that himself..."

Lol! I agree, but still just in case I will have my fire pit ready! ;-)

message 28: by Zeek (last edited Jan 04, 2011 12:10PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Zeek oh dont worry me too- I will be burning me a book for the first time in my life if A) Barrons isnt alive and B) he is not with Mac forever and ever amen. :P

message 29: by Rhonda (last edited Jan 04, 2011 01:20PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Rhonda Just in case Zeek!!! LOL!!!

Barrons and Mac FOREVER!!!!

Émeraude Zeek wrote: "oh dont worry me too- I will be burning me a book for the first time in my life if A) Barrons isnt alive and B) he is not with Mac forever and ever amen. :P"

exactly!
MAc & Barrons always
I'll cry if they do not rip! LOL

Elena R a.k.a. Lunies R Now that sounds like something to look forward to.Thanks for the awesome "spoil free review" =D

message 32: by Rhonda (last edited Jul 10, 2011 11:28AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Rhonda Elena R a.k.a. Lunies R wrote: "Now that sounds like something to look forward to.Thanks for the awesome "spoil free review" =D"

Some funny shite goes down between Mac and Barrons in this one. JS

message 33: by Elena R a.k.a. Lunies R (last edited Jul 20, 2011 06:05PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Elena R a.k.a. Lunies R Now I know why every reader around the world went batshite crazy with this cliffy. That was horrible! Wth!!!??? Well at least I get to read ShadoeFever next. Yaaaay!! Thanks for the Rec's sweetie! It was an awesome series :)

message 34: by Jen (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jen Crap, I loved these books. What a rush.

Ronyell Great review! I really enjoyed this series also!

Rhonda Thank you Ronyell! This is one of my favorites. :)

Ronyell Rhonda wrote: "Thank you Ronyell! This is one of my favorites. :)"

You're welcome!