Kate's Reviews > The Left Hand of God

The Left Hand of God by Paul  Hoffman

Nov 14, 10

Read from November 12 to 14, 2010

This is the first in a trilogy about a kid named Cale. He was raised in a sot of sadistic monastary in the middle of nowhere, where the 'Redeemers' raise boys and young men to fight, and ship them off to a holy war thousands of miles away. At age 14 he and his three friends manage to escape and make their way to the city of Memphis. On the way they manage to rescue an important personage and end up in in the close circles of highest nobility. They are protected and hated by some, and Cale finds a romantic interest. Eventually the Redeemers come after them.

I liked the story, despite the impossible circumstances the four friends find themselves. It's not badly written, though the narrative voice tends to skip around, and occasionally throw in a POV from another character that never really goes anywhere. The characters are all likable, even the evil ones, and there is a sort of mystery introduced in the beginning which is hinted at throughout the story and never revealed. I'll pick up the next one if only to see what happens next.

Sometimes books about teenage killing machines such as Cale throw in emotions and inane feats of stupidity that make me want to beat my head against the wall. This was kept to a minimum and the narrator at least tries to explain what Cale was feeling when he did what he did and acknowledges that it probably wasn't the best choice.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Left Hand of God.