Daisy's Reviews > The Girls

The Girls by Lori Lansens

Nov 15, 10

bookshelves: canada, sisters-twins, czech-slovak
Read from November 12 to 14, 2010, read count: 1

What a moving book. Completely worthwhile, with characters you really love (Uncle Stash and Aunt Lovey) and wisdom and humor. Surprising and unlike anything I've read before. (And there's even a little Eastern European section that I didn't expect--hooray.)

What is it about sadness that can be so fulfilling? (p.30)

Funny how you can measure time by pets that were not even your own. (p. 40)

It was Aunt Lovey's belief that all ordinary people led extraordinary lives, but just didn't notice. (p. 102)

I wanted a round chocolate layer cake for Rose, and to make it look like a basketball... And I wanted a movie clapboard for me (just in case you don't know, a movie clapboard is used so the director knows how many times the actor has forgotten his lines). (p. 197)

That last quote is especially funny for me because my job in real life is to operate the "clapboard" (among other things) and that is not exactly its function but if I memorize that, it'll be funny to recite it at work.

[Uncle Stash] said, "People don't finish, Rose. People stop. To finish is to say okay, now it's right, never I'm going to change it. To stop is to say okay, it's not perfect, but I have to go to something else." (p. 343)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Girls.

Quotes Daisy Liked

Lori Lansens
“Funny how you can measure time by pets that were not even your own.”
Lori Lansens, The Girls

Lori Lansens
“What is it about sadness that can be so fulfilling?”
Lori Lansens, The Girls

11/14/2010 page 197
11/14/2010 page 250
73.0% "It was Aunt Lovey's belief that all ordinary people led extraordinary lives, but just didn't notice."
show 1 hidden update…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Chrissie (new) - added it

Chrissie Thank you for taking the time to add the quotes. I KNOW what a pain that is! They are what blew me over. I have seen this book before, and not added it. Your review made me add it. :0)